Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am retired and New Lyme wildlife area is close enough that I can make quick daily trips when I want to go bass fishing. I have had the opportunity to talk to many fisherman on this beautiful small 50 acre lake and the same subject always comes up. What could we do to discourage all the littering that uncareing people do.
Ever fisherman, like myself, carry trash bags to clean the boat ramp area when we go fishing at New Lyme.

My question is would the O.D.N.R. allow us to put garbage cans in the area if we emptied once a week?

·
Cat-A-Lac
22 Posts
I fish New Lyme some and like you am tired of hauling out others trash. I used to carry a plastic bag and fill it every time I went but it seems the more I took out it only gave the slobs more places to drop off more. I still take out some but not like I used to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isnt it a shame that people don't realise they are destroying the natural beauty of this wonderful little lake. Do you think the ones that are littering have know plans to return? Or maybe they think the litter just magically disappears. I was fishing there in June and some kids swimming at the boat ramp area actually pulled a full size bike out of the water. The person, I assumed to be their mother, had them load it in their minivan to take home and repair. Who throws a full size bike, 10 speed, in reasonably good shape, away? The things I would like to say about people that are to lazy to clean up after themselves would get be baned from this site. I am open to suggestions from anyone on how to address this problem!

·
Finny's Custom Rods
670 Posts
I sure know how you feel about that pretty little lake. It's a shame how people can leave such a mess! have you ever found any good sized fish in there? I've been going up a couple times a year for the last 10 or 12 years, and I don't think I've hooked any bass over two lbs. It gets over fished pretty hard. I actually took my son and my little 10' jon boat there for opening day of deer gun season two years ago. We hunted on the far west shore from the gravel ramp. My son took a doe and it was great to just throw her in the boat instead of having to drag her out. As far as leaving a trash can. I think that's a great idea. Maybe a 55 gal drum. But I would give Jason Hadsell a call first
(330) 245-3036, Hes Ashtabula's game warden.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fish there every couple of weeks, I imagine the odnr would not pay a trash company to do a pick-up there. it a a nice little spot but i would not recommend eating a fish out of there, sport only they dug it to cap a toxic superfund site which is way to close to the lake. I would totally meet up, hike around and haul out the rubbish if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went there Friday morning 5:30 a.m. caught 14 largmouth by 9:30. Three were more than 15 inches. I have been fishing New Lyme since 1994 and it seems the average size is starting to improve. However I would agree that it is over fished, as far as panfish. The regulations for bass are clearly posted at the boat ramp, but I have observed a few people keeping illegal bass.
In the time I have fished New Lyme I have caught 5 bass of 20 plus inches, don't have a weight scale on boat, but would guess close to 5 lbs. Most were caught early morning on bussbait or crankbait. Have caught several on 5 inch watermelon black flake Strike King worm more than 15 inches. I have never cauhgt bass of any size after 10:00 a.m. or before 5 p.m. When fishing plastic, it is a must to get the lure as far into the weed line a possible, so I would recommend heavy line, 12 to 15 with medium heavy rod and 6 to 1 ratio baitcast reel.
As for meeting for clean-up day I think its an excellent idea. I am retired so timing is no problem. Someone with a job should do the planing as to get the largest turnout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts