Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I restring my fishing reels, the first couple times out are spent dealing with finicky line that bunches up or birdnests, but it eventually seems to straighten out. Anybody have tips on how to avoid this? I usually just use Berkeley trilene by the way...

· Registered
11,319 Posts
Are you referring to spinning reels or baitcaster's? How you allow the line to come off the spool makes the difference. Does not make any difference whether it is braid, mono or fluro. One thing that can be a problem with mono and fluro is the age of the line you purchase as well as the conditions under which the retailer stored. I always purchase my line from a tackle supplier, never from a big box store as there is a good chance you could be getting bulk purchase/long time stored material.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you referring to spinning reels or baitcaster's? How you allow the line to come off the spool makes the difference. Does not make any difference whether it is braid, mono or fluro. One thing that can be a problem with mono and fluro is the age of the line you purchase as well as the conditions under which the retailer stored. I always purchase my line from a tackle supplier, never from a big box store as there is a good chance you could be getting bulk purchase/long time stored material.
Thanks for the response, and to answers your question a Spinning reel. How do I make sure the line is coming off the spool correctly?

· Registered
11,319 Posts
I lay the spool on the ground (any surface) and make sure the line comes off the spool in the same rotational direction as as the spinning reel spool. Simply point the spinning reel spool at the line spool and the line should be coming off the spool in a counter clockwise directionwhile the spinning reel bail is rotating counter clockwise also as viewed from the read. I only spool 75 yards of line on my spinning reels at a time. I use a lower cost mono as backing to facilitate filling the reel spool. Also check your PM's for a note I sent.

· Banned
14,061 Posts
the way I put line on a spinning reel is start with the spool laying flat with the label up. I spool holding the line until it starts twisting then I turn the spool over and spool until the line starts to twist then turn it back over. I keep doing this until the reel is about 1/8" below the rim.
sherman

· Registered
94 Posts
another trick that has helped me that I dont think anyone has mentioned, put the line through ONLY the first eye of the rod. This will help with the twist and guide it into the reel without any of the twist coming from multiple eyelets. I started doing this when spooling a few years back and have minimal problems when doing it this way and making sure the line is filling your spool the opposite way it was on the original spool.

· Registered
10,402 Posts
X 2 what Shortdrift said. Also, over filling a spool can cause those same problems. The top rim of the spool should be overhanging a bit like this pic.
View attachment 283503
(OR A BIT "MORE"!) If put on incorrectly, this(over-fill) will eventually create the dreaded " Spin Reel Birds-Nest"!! It is otherwise impossble to keep "tension" on the line while fishing to prevent this from happening(again if "back-spooled" onto the reel verses correctly). A good way to make sure you're doing it right is to stop after a couple dozen reel handle cranks, then push the reel (slowly) towards the feeder spool. If you see the line start to twist, flip the spool over 180 degrees and continue to fill your reel. Another way to put line on is to put the spool in a vise secured(but not tightly!) to a bolt like an axle. Reel the line onto your reel with the reel parallel to the spool-not at a right angle like the method above. Stop and check for twisting like above, if twisting is beginning, simply flip the spool over on the axle bolt and finish the respool. Keeping tension on the line with two fingers out ahead of the reel when respooling can help keep loops from forming on the reel.

· Registered
5,316 Posts
The way I learned and have always respooled my reels is by pulling the line thru a cloth wrapped around my hand. You want it tightly wound but not so much as to bury the line in the spool. Most of my spin gear is backed with mono and tied with a uni-knot to a 125 yard spool of braid, followed by a flouro harness.
I like an 1/8" spool lip overhang to keep it from springing off or birdnesting.

· Registered
35 Posts
could try the tips above and i have also been using KVD line and lure, it is a line conditioner and that helps with keeping the line conditioned and less line twist. Also helps wick away the water from the line while fishing so the line doesnt soak up as much water. It also improves casting distance which is also a bonus!

· Registered
265 Posts
could try the tips above and i have also been using KVD line and lure, it is a line conditioner and that helps with keeping the line conditioned and less line twist. Also helps wick away the water from the line while fishing so the line doesnt soak up as much water. It also improves casting distance which is also a bonus!
Jay sounds like a good suggestion, I’ve tried real magic line conditioner, nothing worse than having a big ole birds-nest or loops fly off the spinning reel when a steelhead hits your line!! Then you just have to bring in that that steelhead in hand over hand and then untangle the mess when you finally land that cromer! BPS has Real Magic for $7.95 a can.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.