close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New limits proposed for Lake Erie

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Grumpy, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 22, 2005

INCREASE IN LAKE ERIE BAG LIMITS PROPOSED FOR 2006
    Public hearing on the proposed changes to be held September 29 in Columbus

COLUMBUS, OH - Lake Erie walleye and yellow perch anglers
    may enjoy an increased bag limit next year if a proposal by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife is accepted by the Ohio Wildlife Council later this fall.

A public hearing on the proposed rules will be held at 9 a.m., Thursday, September 29 at the wildlife division's District One office, located at 1500 Dublin Road in Columbus. During the hearing, individuals will be asked to keep their comments brief to ensure everyone has an opportunity to speak. The Wildlife Council will vote on the proposed rules during its November 2 meeting after considering public input.

The Division of Wildlife proposes increasing the daily bag limit on walleye from three fish to four between March 1 and April 30, with a six-fish bag limit the remainder of the year. The existing 15-inch size limit would remain.

The Division of Wildlife also proposes an increase for yellow perch from the current 30-fish daily bag limit to 40. Perch numbers, which have been low since the mid-1990s, have rebounded to healthier levels since the bag limit was reduced in 1995.

State wildlife biologists will continue to monitor the walleye and perch populations and work with state and provincial partners to ensure the continued vitality of the Lake Erie fishery.

A proposal for catfish also is being considered. If changes are adopted, anglers will be able to keep only one channel catfish larger than 28 inches and one flathead catfish larger than 35 inches in a day.
    -30-

For Further Information Contact:
    Gary Isbell, ODNR Division of Wildlife
    (614) 265-6345
    -or-
    Vicki Ervin, ODNR Division of Wildlife
    (614) 265-6325

2. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

why is it that the only thing the ONDR seems to care about is lake erie? there are thousands of other lakes, streams and rivers that need attention too!

3. I hope that catfish reg is state wide ;)

4. Would like to see the size dropped to one fish over 30".

5. They need to raise the perch bag to 50 with a no cull rule. Most of those perch, if not all of them, that have the gas bladder in their mouths when brought to the surface will die. This means that for every fish in the cooler, many more have fed the gulls and I doubt that these wasted fish are counted in the overall harvest. Imagine what the pops would be like if these fish were left to reproduce.
    Of course the DOW bios will fall back on the old, "it's unenforcable" yarn. Ya, right. Fresh, undersize, floating perch around a boat would be evidence enough. "They could have come from another boat", you say? Wrong. The gulls scarf them almost immediately, so any fresh perch floating around a boat would be evidence enough of culling. If DOW personel don't want to enforce the laws, such as littering, we ought to fire their asses and hire people who will.
    I'll also add that the inland bag for 'eyes should be raised to 10. Most 'eyes die of natural causes before they are caught. A 30% yearly mortality rate would not be unusual and mostly from natural causes. Also, stocking muskie in 'eye water is about the dumbest dern thing. This means we get to pay to stock muskie, (for all 6 of the muskie fishers), and then we get to pay to feed them by stocking 'eyes. Duhhh...

6. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i totally disagree to catering to how many fisherman fish for what species. if they are going to stock musky, fine. but dont forget about all of the other lakes in ohio. all points back to the ODNR's ENTIRE focus on lake erie.

7. I "totally" agree. Steelhead are a great example of catering to the "numbers". Just whats so great about this fish? They fight well? So does a catfish and big carp. Why not fish for these instead? Erie steelies are virtually inedible, (gizzard shad diet), fishers litter the area they fish at, destroy riparian habitat, have no regard for private property, quarrel with each other over the best lies, and a few won't even go to the trouble of burying there own poop. All this for a fish thats not native, fights no harder and tastes no better than a common sheepshead of the same size. We've spent millions over the years on this fish.
    The one bright spot is that we don't have to pay to feed steelhead, which is my biggest beef regarding muskie.
    Btw, electroshocking surveys, and stocking programs are just a couple of examples which prove that the entire focus of the state fisheries bios is NOT directed only towards Erie.

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I'm all for the "no cull rule" on perch. Look at the numbers of boats in the wolf packs on the weekends. Now imagine the numbers of perch that are thrown overboard that will not survive after being caught, due to their air bladders sticking out of their mouths. When I catch a perch that is on the smaller size, and it's obvious that it won't survive, either from a swallowed hook, or the bladder is in its mouth, I keep it. You can still get a decent piece of meat off of it if you're a decent filleter (?). I would rather see a perch in hot oil than twelve pound seagulls.

9. Hahahahaha, 12 lb. seagulls. That's funny. Break out the umbrellas...

10. I like the no cull idea too! I dont think anyone could dispute that its a good idea. Probably the only reason for an angler to dispute the no cull concept would be the more selfish angler. Using the no cull rule the DNR could probably raise the limits to and find a safe / happy-medium.

The other thought is. I return those undersized perch too. But not if they are going to die. I rarely have more than one perch floating around my boat for a sea gull to munch on. I think if other anglers harvest selctively (keeping the fish that are certain to die) than it "should" be a nearly moot point.

I cant believe when I see a gull eat a 6-7" perch in a single gulp! Imagine passing that!

The website could use a perch ICON!

11. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

The Catfish regs would be great statewide, but I fear they are only for Erie?

12. Catfish regs would be good. Protect some large cats too, i dont know how many people around my area try to keep very large cats to put them in a pond. It is a waste, they either kill them in transport or they die after they eat everything in the pond. i dont care what anyone says you are not going to get a 30 pound flatty to live off dogfood. Even if they could feed train it (most likely not), its not a dog, its a fish.

13. If the catfish reg only applies to erie then I don't get it. Anyone ever catch a nice flathead in the the big lake or better yet does anyone specifically target them in erie?. I know they are there but it's really not the right habitat for them and I would think it's almost impossible to target them enough to put in place a limit for just erie when it is far more needed in the rivers and streams.

14. Would like to see a 10 year moratorium on all the big cats statewide. C & r only.

15. i fished for perch with argee and used ultralite rods,what a blast and we hardly seen a bladder hanging out.its fun just fighting the small perch too.i hope they put the cat regs over the whole state also. i don t fish for flats but i sure do respect that king kong fish.

16. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

the cat reg. would be state wide.