Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally received my new Hobie Outback kayak this week and am all set for the maiden voyage. I will likely hit Hoover or Buckeye given proximity to me. I have seen multiple threads complaining about kayaks at the boat ramps so would like any advice on best places to launch the kayak at both Buckeye and Hoover. Thanks

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Hoover has quite a few kayak launches. And most boat ramp has if not a kayak launch a flat enuff spot to launch with out using the ramp.
Buckeye,if I dont use the ramps I use the beaches. There is a small one at north shore,ffb,and a couple other small ones I can't think of off the top of my head.
Good luck.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
launch wherever you like, dude. you're just as entitled to a ramp if you like.

congrats on your outback! I'm usually cruising hoover in my PA17 T. come say hi.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Will do. I have never fished Hoover. If fishing for Crappie and Saugeye, which pool would you recommend?

·
Multi Species Angler
6,218 Posts
At Clearfork Reservoir up near Mansfield they put up a sign that kayaks can't use the ramp. They have designated launches off the docks. I think that's a good idea. It seems to work out just fine up there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats on the new kayak! So yeah, honestly you can use the ramps if you want to its a free country, however, same etiquette as if you had a boat be considerate of other peoples' time and space. I would recommend that you don't use the ramp seeing as how a kayak can be launched from anywhere even though you probably will get a little wet. I also got my first kayak this year and honestly that's one of the benefits of a kayak is that you don't need the ramp and can just launch off right next to your fishing spot. Good luck out there

·
Registered
115 Posts
Will do. I have never fished Hoover. If fishing for Crappie and Saugeye, which pool would you recommend?
I have had more luck on mid pool with the crappie. can't speak for saugeye. I'm also fairly new to that body of water, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
The Sunbury Rd ramp and the Oxbow Rd ramps are my fav places at Hoover in a kayak. Also launched at Twin Bridges when the ramp was brand new but didn’t do very good fishing in the bay and the main lake area. Could have been time of year though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been a Yaker for the past several years primarily fishing Hoover. I use the boat launches to launch my kayak. Just do it in the same manner a boater would do it. Prep everything before you pull to the ramp. Drop your yak off to the side of the ramp and go park. Never had a problem and I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. Just make sure to park in the trailer spots :)

I'm now a new boat owner and I'll say all these boat owners complaining about Kayakers should look at their own. Boat owners are just as bad if not worse at the ramps than any yakers I've come across, especially at Alum. Bunch of dumb asses!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been a Yaker for the past several years primarily fishing Hoover. I use the boat launches to launch my kayak. Just do it in the same manner a boater would do it. Prep everything before you pull to the ramp. Drop your yak off to the side of the ramp and go park. Never had a problem and I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. Just make sure to park in the trailer spots :)

I'm now a new boat owner and I'll say all these boat owners complaining about Kayakers should look at their own. Boat owners are just as bad if not worse at the ramps than any yakers I've come across, especially at Alum. Bunch of dumb asses!
I watched a boater at hoover last weekend drive the opposite direction of the put in, spend 5 minutes lining his boat up on the ramp because he came at it the wrong direction and then rigged his boat in the water. it was pretty cool. /facepalm

it's way less about the type of boat than it is bad captains. I use the term captain very loosely here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts