close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New jig we're useing out west

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by slabtroller, Dec 17, 2004.

1. New to board but not to crappie fishing.
    Google up something called a jumping cholla jig and you will find recent fishing reports out here in Arizona about them being the new rage.
    I guess they just went retail and will have a web site up soon but the only guy I know with any swears by them for trolling.
    Anyone east of us useing them yet, and if so what do you think?
    I guess the new hook design makes it impossible to lose fish or miss bites. The guy know says there is no reason to even set the hook.

2. First of all, welcome to the site. It is always nice when we get people visiting from other areas as well.

I tried to google the cholla jig but did not find much. There was a reference to it on a fishing report for Arizona so it may be a very local bait still. I did notice that in the report there was a Cholla Lake which I am guessing may be the origin of this lure. If you find any more info on it I am sure there would be folks on here eager to hear about it. Plenty of us are always looking for new things to blow our money on.:D Oops I typed that and envisioned my wife actually saying it.:eek:

3. I'm going to stop in and see pricing etc later today as we are hitting the lake in the morning. Here is his web site link, but I don't see the jigs listed. http://www.nealsfishingtackle.com/ I called and he says he has them but also a lot of orders for a limited supply.
    Our crappie fishing is only just starting to pick up. The fish are just in transition to the winter patterns. I know Art Chamberlin (local guide) and if he's sold on them they have to be worthy.

4. Stopped in at Neal's today and bought a couple of bags. I can see the draw to these jigs. They sure look like they will hold onto any fish that comes near them , let alone bites the things. I got caught by a cholla cactus once and these things are sure named right. Should be great for walleye and stripers also.

I'll find out in the morning and try to give an update.

Oh, they look to be in short supply right now but are made locally and Neal said the guy is gearing up to mass produce. He said the guy makes a custom hand poured grub made special for them but he was sold out right now.

5. Heres the skinny. We trolled roosevelt today with the fleet from 7:30 until 3:00 and only saw two other boats catch anything. The wind was up and trolling was real hard but we ended the day with 25 slabs up to 2.6 pounds. All were over 12 inches in length and one went 15 inches.

The big deal was that we had no (0) missed fish. I like that a bunch. Once you see these things you'll understand it, but nothing can get away once it bites the jig. We usually loose several fish in a day but not today.

The jigs I bought were a red/silver sparkle color and if anyone has any recommendations for a better color fire away please? :)

6. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Never heard of them before, but I'd like to see one. Can you send a link to the page they are on or tell us what category they are under on the link you provided?

7. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Slabtroller
    Your first site works but the 2nd of the jig doesn't.

8. Thanks Dan, don't know what happened with the cut and paste that killed the other link.

9. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

how much do those jigs weigh? and how many come in a pack, cause by the looks youll need alot of them in ohio... i see a 3x chance hangin that up in the kinda stuff i fish in.

sowbelly

10. I could see using about 25 of those in a day easily, and thts before I give up and go to something else. I couldn't see keeping them on having to throw them into the brush piles where I fish for the slabs around here.

11. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Make your own. Use some kind of goop to hold 3 #8's together and then solder a head on it. I'd use the top hook to tie on to and use the other 2 for eyes then just put a grub or twister tail on it....and quit fishin' them willow beds :) ;)

12. They come 10 to a package and only have 1/8 oz in stock when I got mine. I talked to a guide that has been helping test them for over a year and now its all he uses. He told me that the head design and balance point does a pretty good job of deflecting snags and he has not lost anymore than single hook types. We trolled them through the willow tree tops and didnt loose but one.
    Colors that I saw were black, red and the same with silver speckles.

13. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

It sounds like they would be good for open water trolling, and thats probably what they would be used for. I hear you can get some nice crappies in the open water, contrary to popular beleif.

14. rockbass

rockbass Banned

That is one messed up looking jig......I will try to make something like that sometime here soon when I make some more jigs for stock! Like everyone has said, looks like one heck of a snagger! I know the first cast I make near a tree top will end in a broken line or some bent hooks!

15. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

They are using that thing out west, in those big open water impoundments. In our area, we'd probably catch lots more wood than fish. Try drifting with that thing up at Pymy or Squito or Berlin or West Branch. Shoot, we cant even fish pay lakes with that thing. If you do fish it, you'd better have some heavy line on. I wonder if we could use it icefishing? Wouldn't take long to go thru a dz minnows.....

16. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

like chaunc said, cast would be tough, but i bet you could troll easily over say, river channels in the summer months when crappies will suspend. or even troll over immerging weed beds in the spring.

17. We trolled them through willow and salt ceder on saturday and only lost one. We lost 2 standard jigs. The web site says the head does something to deflect snags. I think it works for the most part. Where the fish are stacked up is 25' deep and you need to get your baits right on the tree tops to do any good. Lots of time we would feel a brush bump but didnt snag anything.

They sold me anyway and I'm getting more for the box.