close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new hydraulic steering

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ezbite, Jun 6, 2007.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

as some of you know i have been having steering problems. well i pulled out the old rack steering and found a baystar hydraulic system (helm/pump, cylinder, lines and 2 bottles of fluid) on ebay for $530.00 delivered to my door in 2 days. i took my time installing it. made sure to follow the directions to the tee, it took a day and a 1/2 to remove the old and install the new between the rain storms. well i took it out on erie today and all i can say is SWEEEEEET!!! hands free operation. trolling to WOT. its amazing the difference hydraulic steering makes in handling. if your having steering problems and plan on replacing the old system, i recommend (strongly) that you go with hydraulic:D oh, by the way. i saved about $1300.00 doing it myself. called the local boat mechanic and he said he could do it for around $1800.00 seemed pretty steep to me.

2. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

GOOD for you man, I bet your glad you did it right the first time around, it's an awesome system, my boat has the Sea Star Pro it's the bomb system, drives like a car.

3. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Good to hear that went well.

Was that install really just a matter of following directions? Or do you have a lot of previous experience with this kind of stuff. Was there anything special you needed to know on your own?

4. ezbite

thanks guys,

kev, i think that the dude at the boat shop was talking about installing the seastar system. i only got a 150hp and it was overkill. he was looking at dollar signs and he got nothing from me for it. your right it does drive like a car..SWEET:p

tomb, im pretty handy doing things like that. motorhead most of my life, rebuilt a harley and worked with hydraulics in the service. it wasn't much of a challenge. hardest thing was getting the lines up thru the inside of the hull. i did knock out my fuel gauge(found out on the water yesterday). if your doing it just take your time, make sure fittings are tight but not over tight. follow the directions, thay were pretty easy to follow. if you would want to change over to hydraulic steering, get ahold of me and ill spend the day helping you.

5. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thanks, you may regret that offer:D Will you be at Mosquito tomorrrow?

6. ezbite

were going to ashtabula in the morning. once we get our walleye i planned on stopping for some grub and gab at the outing. i will probably be pulling the boat and park in the lot across the street from the bait shop. hope to meet you:D

7. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I should be up there, 90% sure I'm going. Maybe see you there.