close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New guy - Bass?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by eness76, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Hi everybody, my brother and I are recently back into fishing after many years away. We grew up fishing all around the Steubenville area but now both live in the Columbus area. I'm in the process of building a jon boat, but in the mean time we're landlubbers. Could anybody tell me a good place to get into some bass? We went looking for cats over at Hoover on Saturday and got some small ones and I jigged a nice crappy, but overall a pretty slow morning. Sunday got a 20" Channel out of the O'Shay and that's my personal best, small pertaters compared to the monsters you guys are hauling but I was pretty pumped. We hit some of the small ponds up in Delaware a few weeks back and caught some monster carp, but no bass. We're thinking we'd like to get into a couple. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I've been lurking for the past couple weeks and you all seem like a real nice bunch. Thanks again,
    Eric

2. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

alum is a really good lake for bass, try around the bridges and rock pilings along them. shad raps work pretty good as well as big o's. if you don't mind getting wet try wading the darby or the sci, throw twister tails or tubes and you'll have pretty good luck. senkos work fairly good to. you can catch bass at alot of different places just try different lures and you'll get into them eventually. also alum around the bridges is really good for crappie, try slip float with minnows. you'll catch alot of little ones but you;'ll eventually get some with some size. also delaware and alum are pretty good for cats, try cut shad and chicken liver. if you want some specific spots pm me and i'll see what i can do.

3. Hey thanks for the help, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I don't want to know your spots, I'm not looking to take anyone's spots or anything, just looking for a couple clues like those. This should help a lot. Thanks again,
    Eric

4. Were you fishing the ponds in the wilderness area or the ones you can see from the road?

5. we fished the ones you could see from the road by the shooting range, and we hit one back a ways by the dog training area. Also went and fished a couple back a ways to the east of the center (north and south) of the main lake. One was very low and seemingly oxygen starved as there had to be a couple hundred bluegill floating. This was during the height of the drought about a month ago.

6. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Downtown around the confluence is overlooked for bass. There is bike trail around both sides of the river which provides a lot of access. I recommend that you go with a friend.