close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new generator for the house!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeffmo, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

it's kinda funny how momma nature had an un-expected influence on my Christmas.i was all set to go to hh gregg and have a new cd stereo system installed in my jeep then...BAM!!! ice storm and no power.so,that new stereo quickly turned into a new generator.
    but i do have one question for all of the electrical wizzes.can i back feed the generator into the house from an oulet in my garage?

2. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

That's how I did it. Except I fed from the barn and ran a 110 cord with 2 male ends to an out let. That will only give you half your box. So I run 2 to catch both sides. I'm going to hook it up to 220 this spring. Good luck!

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Just remeber one thing guys if your back feeding your house you need to turn off the main breaker or have a disconnect or you will back feed into the utility lines. And this is very illegal and unsafe.

4. You can get a panel at Home Depot that mounts beside your main box.....you tie that box (All wiring included and coded) into the circuts you want to run off the generator.

When you want to run those circuts off the generator, you simply flip those circut breakers on the new box.

I put one in last spring, ran a line to the outside of the house into a "Plug Box' that can also be obtained a "Home Depot."

Works very nice

I have a walk-out basement and the generator I have is 7500 watts with wheels....I can just wheel it outside, plug it in to the plug box, start the generator, flip the breakers on the side box and you're in business.

You don't have to cut the main circut with this type unit, when power comes back on just flip those circuts back and your on the main power.

Sears has these units also.

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

old fox is right they are called transfer box or switchs.

6. jeffmo

thanks guys,i really appreciate it!
    i'm a complete idiot when it comes to doing electrical work unless it's putting new batteries in a flashlight!and i know what can happen when it's not done right.besides that it seems like every time i mess with it i end up getting shocked and i'd rather get hit in the mouth than shocked!

7. catking

catking Banned

JEEZE US !!!! By all means protect this type of connection. If the power gets into the line, it will kill anybody working on the lines down the road, or across the county . What you are doing is legal, but you must do it correctly , or it will be lethal.........CATKING :)

8. jeffmo

catking,that's why i'm gonna have an electrician come in and do the job right.i have a friend who does it for a living and he's not too good of a carpenter so we trade work for one another.

9. catking

catking Banned

I really need to do what you are doing jeffmo . After going 6 nights without electric last week, you figured I'd learn my lesson.............. CATKING :rolleyes:

10. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Thats good jeffmo, i plan to do the same this year myself and then want to add a large natural gas generator that will do the whole house in the next couple yrs until then i will use little portable gen.

11. Do it like I described above and you'll be happy....if you aren't electrially capable, an electriction will do this easily.

My brother had an electrictian do his, that's where I got the idea, I did mine myself. This way, no chance of feed back, it's a matter of flipping the switches.