close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new garmin fish finder

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by littleking, Jul 29, 2005.

1. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

was wondering how high i should set the gain on the sonar?

at 85% i show hundreds of fish

at 35% i show no fish at all i know somewhere in between but how do i know how accurate my reading is?

2. littleking

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think most recommend you set it up to where you start to see some "grain" in the screen, then maybe back it down a hair. You don't want to pick up every blade of grass in the water. I think all locators vary and where you fish (muddy river, high current, low current, clarity, etc) will affect it. Set it to where you see fish.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

don't use the fish symbols either, set it to manual and get the fish arches.

5. littleking

what to the arches tell you compared to the symbols

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the symbols can be anything floating in the water even vegetation. the symbols tell a lot ,but you have to learn hoew to read them,as far as what type of fish you are looking at. i am still learning.greyline helps too. go to the eagle/lowrance site there are tutorials there on ff usage.

7. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

Very true freyedknot, I just set up one this past weekend like that, & the guy was amazed. We would pass over a known weedbed & I showed him how it would show up, Then we went over it with the Arches & He was amazed that it would do that. Then I went on to show him how to use all the features. He is in Love with it now, To bad because he was on the Brink of selling it. :eek:
    Cat Mazter