close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New fishing pier on Erie

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fakebait, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Is that the one in Perry?

2. Painesville Township Park
    Part of the Lake Metro Parks

3. Is it now open for fishing? I thought I read when it first opened that it wouldn't be open ofr fishing for a couple of weeks.

4. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

It is open and has been packed. High off the water so you will need a really long net or the baitstore sells the ocean basket type of pier nets on a rope. Little bit of a walk to get down and back up. But there are steps and an accessible ramp.

http://www.lakemetroparks.com/parks-trails/painesville-township-park

Rangers are and will patrol it regularly as well as park employees fishing it at night.

Although park hours are 6 am to 11 pm, the pier is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but will be closed during inclement weather. For safety and enjoyment of the pier:

• Swimming and diving is prohibited due to hazardous underwater conditions.
    • Cleaning fish is prohibited on the pier.
    • Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
    • Riding bikes, skatebords or scooters is prohibited on the pier.
    • Feeding wildlife is prohibited.

5. Even with all of those trash cans you can bet there will still be empty bait containers laying all over.

matticito likes this.
  6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

There are maintenance and janitorial crew on the property year round just for that park. They are down there several times a day.

If you see anything suspicious.
    Here are the ranger numbers.
    For Ranger response in case of emergency: Dial 9-1-1
    Non-emergency contact Ranger Dispatch: 440-354-3434

acklac7 likes this.
  7. Doboy

Doboy HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins

NICE!
    Hope it catches on!

There's hundreds of miles of breakwalls & rip-rap barriers & jetties across the Erie shoreline,,,, & nobody smart enough to make 'em accessible for fishermen!?
    How many fishermen would put $2 in a drop-box, for 12hr access on one of those piers?
    (LIKE, until it's PAID FOR!?)
    I WOULD!!!

lol,,, & I can't see the signs,,,, is the FINE for littering in the park $500, or $1000?

8. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

800-foot anti-erosion wall costing $619,000 and the pier itself totaling $1.96 million.
    It would take a while to pay off lol.
    The park system is tax funded so no need to charge for a public park.

The accessible ramp is a switchback down the bluff. Stairs are straight down.
    20171017_153014.jpg 20171017_171721.jpg liferings and ladders on the pier.
    20171017_173542.jpg 20171017_183931.jpg

9. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

I will be there today I will look at the signs.

Doboy likes this.
  10. I'm curious about the depth of the water around the pier? It doesn't look like it can be more than 8' or so. Might be a decent place to cast for eyes at night.

Wes

11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

They said it's 10 to 15 foot or so. Didn't make it out there today but will tommrow.

Steelhauler likes this.
  12. Doboy

Doboy HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins

Beautiful.
    Wish I was able to watch them build it.
    Just wondering,,, what is it supported by, on pilings?

The only thing I would add is (fish attracting) concrete/ rip-rap jetties on both sides,,,, about a LONG cast away.

btw,,, "The park system is tax funded so no need to charge for a public park"
    lol,,,, I thought the same thing about Bula & Conn.

I HATE anything 'tax-payer' funded,,,,
    That makes the cost increase by 10x,,, so in-turn, THAT makes 10x less fishing piers. ;>)

Thanks

HappySnag and Workingman like this.
  13. "The pier is 200 feet long, 20 feet wide and stable as a rock because it is mounted on open steel baskets that sit on the lake floor and are filled with boulders. The baskets are attached to pilings that are sunk down to bedrock."

They also used a crane to position boulders about 30 feet from the pier to create a fish attracting jettie.

From a Sept. 2017 Plain Dealer article.

Doboy, kayak1979, erie sniper and 2 others like this.
  14. The most important question is, has anyone caught anything there yet!

Snakecharmer and Saugeyefisher like this.
  15. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

I was there today and saw one caught while I was there. About 15 min. Small one went back. I talked to a few guys that said they did ok on trout with jigs and maggots. It will be blown out tommrow.

People are already puting grafetti on the pier. Please call the rangers if you see anything.

Here is a pic of the sign. As far as I can tell park fines are 150. Not posted for littering on the pier. The rangers and maintenance staff along with the chief are there several times a day checking things and for licenses (rangers). The fishermen that were there were happy to see them and glad they were checking.

20171109_140407.jpg
    20171109_140425.jpg
    20171109_140431.jpg

16. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

The pillings are driven down to bedrock, the open cage construction with rocks in it let's the pier absorb waves and stay dry on top. There are rock piles placed off the sides.

The park system is funded by a levy from the tax payers of lake county. It's not a bad thing to provide access, programs, education and facilities for the residents and nonresident people of lake county and ohio. There are much worse ways taxes are used.

I don't know about Astabula and their facilities. I do know that they have a very small county park system.

17. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

that is an awesome pier, i will be making a visit for sure

Saugeyefisher likes this.