close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New fishing lure idea

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by reel, Jan 19, 2005.

1. I have an idea for a fish lure that is very simple but possibly very effective.

I'm not sure how to approach this thing. If it works as I think it could be a big deal.

I recall a thread here on OGFC about an ice auger idea invention, but someone told them that it was already invented. Which may or may not have been the case. Was someone taking a good idea away from the inventor ?

I'm not looking to make a fortune, hire lawyers, get a patent etc., but I don't want to spin my wheels or step on someones elses toes either.

Would welcome some random thoughts here.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I have a few ideas too. Trick is to get the "prototypes" made, and try to get patents on them. You have to put some $$ behind it if you want to make money. ;) If you have something......and you don't want to share....then obviously you want to make something out of it :D

3. Very first thing you should do is put the ideas and as much info as you can on paper. Then put it into an envelope and mail it to yourself, and don't open it unless ever directed to do so by your attorney. This can become a first level of "protection". I am NOT an attorney but I have been heavily involved with several patents. The biggest problem with any new idea is not how to get it made but how to market it.

4. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

I have been told the same thing about my name being registered for my business. Wonder how true it is. I guess I'll have to mail myself a letter stating that CountryKat is a registered trademark. Is that basically how it works?

I also have a new body concept in mind for a spinner and buzz bait. Should I mail myself a picture of the bait?

5. Great ideas. Thanks much. Wonderful community here.

Have heard about the mail thing. Probably would be better to send registered mail with return receipt requested. And keep a copy of all the information that is inside and keep together.

Was not expecting any comments.

If it turns out to be a big thing then yes it is all about money. But if the fish laugh at it and I only get average results, I would be glad to share for somebody else to perfect.

tom...

6. Okay someone is going to have to explain the mailing thing to me. I am totally lost on that one. I can't see where that does anything.:confused:

7. I think that verifies the date that someone originally thought of the idea.

8. The purpose of the mailing is to have a record of time and details of when you thought of the idea.

Say someone is trying to steal your invention. Theoretically the first to come up with the idea is the inventor. So this is proof of your timing.

Do not open the letter because the sealed documents remain Post Office proof.

I never was good at English.

tom...

9. The 1st one to rec'v a patent will have the last laugh and a patent does have a fee attached to each and every move you make on pending patent...
    Example:
    Original Patent---> $300.00
    Amended Patent--> $300.00
    Response to
    Official Question--> $300.00
    You could be into $1000.00 bucks before you even find out that its already has a Patent under someone else...

Best bet is to run your course on your idea and follow through with a final product then hire a Patent Lawyer...
    Simply put a lure idea may already have a patent on it and will take along time to find that out if infact it does...

Don't let any of the above keep you from your dream/goal
    GOOD LUCK

10. Oh BTW...
    WRONG...
    Go here to find out what you need to know or at the very least to find a starting point:
    http://www.uspto.gov/ebc/efs/index.html

For CopyRight info go here: http://www.copyright.gov/

A short ( YEA RIGHT) breakdown:

COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION
    In general, copyright registration is a legal formality intended to make a public record of the basic facts of a particular copyright. However, registration is not a condition of copyright protection. Even though registration is not a requirement for protection, the copyright law provides several inducements or advantages to encourage copyright owners to make registration. Among these advantages are the following:

Registration establishes a public record of the copyright claim.

Before an infringement suit may be filed in court, registration is necessary for works of U. S. origin.

If made before or within 5 years of publication, registration will establish prima facie evidence in court of the validity of the copyright and of the facts stated in the certificate.

If registration is made within 3 months after publication of the work or prior to an infringement of the work, statutory damages and attorney's fees will be available to the copyright owner in court actions. Otherwise, only an award of actual damages and profits is available to the copyright owner.

Registration allows the owner of the copyright to record the registration with the U. S. Customs Service for protection against the importation of infringing copies. For additional information, request Publication No. 563 "How to Protect Your Intellectual Property Right," from: U.S. Customs Service, P.O. Box 7404, Washington, D.C. 20044. See the U.S. Customs Service Website at www.customs.gov for online publications.

Registration may be made at any time within the life of the copyright. Unlike the law before 1978, when a work has been registered in unpublished form, it is not necessary to make another registration when the work becomes published, although the copyright owner may register the published edition, if desired.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGISTRATION PROCEDURES
    Original Registration
    To register a work, send the following three elements in the same envelope or package to:

Library of Congress
    Copyright Office
    101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20559-6000

A properly completed application form.
    A nonrefundable filing fee of $30 for each application.
    NOTE: Copyright Office fees are subject to change. For current fees, please check the Copyright Office Website at www.copyright.gov, write the Copyright Office, or call (202) 707-3000.

A nonreturnable deposit of the work being registered. The deposit requirements vary in particular situations. The general requirements follow. Also note the information under "Special Deposit Requirements."
    If the work was first published in the United States on or after January 1, 1978, two complete copies or phonorecords of the best edition.

If the work was first published in the United States before January 1, 1978, two complete copies or phonorecords of the work as first published.

If the work was first published outside the United States, one complete copy or phonorecord of the work as first published.

If sending multiple works, all applications, deposits, and fees should be sent in the same package. If possible, applications should be attached to the appropriate deposit. Whenever possible, number each package (e. g., 1 of 3, 2 of 4) to facilitate processing.

11. That the mailing only affords you protection against someone intentionally stealing it. If someone else far removed comes up with same idea and patents it before you they win. Patent searches can be done but I cannot find a link right now, that is the starting point-it called 'finding prior art". I believe you could file a patent yourself but it is very complicated. Once you have mailed it to yourself you can show it to other people, just make and keep a record of who and when. If you wanted to show it to a manufacturer, for example, you would have proof you had the idea before him and thus could have a good case with good evidence to sue and likely win.

12. Link for US patent searches is http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

I've got a couple of patents (science crap not fishing lures) but where ever I've been we've always had people to handle the paper work so I'm not much help there.

Steve

13. Okay it makes a bit more sense about the mailing now. But then I immediately thought of something else and Exexec hit on it in his earlier post.

So the thing is you have to act on your idea or someone will pass you by. Now I just have to come up with an idea of my own and I can do the same.:rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck to you on you patent. Keep us posted on any progress that you make...without divulging the details of the patent of course.;)

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I had an idea for a lure too. I was told that fishing lures are one of the most common. Even if I did patent it, someone else would change one tiny part of it & they could make it (like a big company with lots of $$ I couldn't fight.)
    Don't want to discourage you, but it discouraged me.......
    Of course my lure was to target stripers below dams, so it was very limited, although it might work in the surf too, etc.