close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new fishing book out

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewzer, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I came across a new book, ©2008, at the Summit County Library in downtown Akron call Fishing Ohio, An Anglers Guide to over 200 Fishing Spots in the Buckeye State. It's by Tom Cross and has a picture of Bob Kotch on the cover.
    It gives excellent detail on all the lakes we fish, the Ohio Erie Canal Muskingum and Tusc rivers, Sandusky Bay, the Ohio River, etc.... It also gives access points for the NEO rivers many steelhead fish.
    I liked the portion on West Branch and the upper Cuyahoga River.
    It also has details on the reservoirs and rivers in SW, NW and southern Ohio.
    They had four new copies of the book on the shelf. If you cannot make it to Akron to get a copy, order a copy through your local library or I'm sure you can find a copy online.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Cool! I'll have to check it out...

3. I agree, I also got it from the library over the summer and thought it was well written.

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's it Krusty. And it will be the best $14.00 an Ohio fisherman ever spends.
    I'd give it a 5 star rating. I think it's the best fishing spot book I've come across since Mark Hicks Fishing the Ohio River and Erie Smallmouth books.

5. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

I was able to buy this book from a book fair at work for $11.00. What a super resource. The only thing wrong is the time of year. It is well worth the price. I see many late nights in the future going from the book to the tackle boxes to clean them out.:)

6. Mike, I'm not doubting you. I know you know your stuff. Just playing devil's advocate here. In the article it states he spent 13 weeks on 200 locations. That's 91 days on 200 locations or less than half a day on each. I have to wonder how much accurate info can be gathered in that amount of time. Unless the article was mistaken. I also know that if I was approached by someone I didn't know and was asked to give up info on a waterway that I learned through countless hours on the water so he/she could write a book and make money I'd be a little reluctant. Now if they were offering royalties we may talk. lol Again, I don't want to upset anyone. I'm just a natural skeptic is all.

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Well Mac,
    I first went to West Branch in the book to see whether he was full of it or whether he mentioned specific spots I am aware of.
    Now don't get me wrong, he didn't mention the various stump fields sunken islands or sunken fences anything like that. But he did mention various areas that would be good starting points for the beginner.
    I rarely fish berlin from a boat and never have fished Milton from a boat. The info he gave up on those two lakes will give me the basic starting points for those two lakes when combined with my contour maps and gps.

For the person who was asking about the upper Cuyahoga in the last week, he had good information in the book for you too.

Come on, you know my skin is thicker than that:p

8. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Thanks Mike........ Looks like it might be a good read and reference book....Jon Sr.

9. LOL I wasn't too worried about you. Just anyone else that might read it.

10. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Another good read is John Barbo’s “Cleveland Fishing Guide”. This book is more tuned in to the northeast portion of the state from Sandusky to Erie. He covers only 50 or so locations but IMO with more detail. A really good reference book for everything from shore fishing lake Erie to steelheading.

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cleveland-Fishing-Guide-John-Barbo/dp/1886228132"]Amazon.com: Cleveland Fishing Guide: John Barbo: Books[/ame]

I'll have to check that out.