Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the day off yesterday to work on my deck. Did a little fishing first though. Went to my favorite smallmouth spot on the Hoga. Didn't catch a single smallie!!! Water flow was decent and it wasn't too cloudy from the rain the night before, so I don't understand it. Used all my favorite smallie lures and got nothing. Switched to using a half a nightcrawler on a jighead and kept getting bites from little bait stealing basturds! Had a hard time hooking them. Switched to gulp minnows and a smaller jighead and finally started catching the little basturds! Got gills, creek chubs, and white perch.

The new fish I was catching though was walleye!!! Got 2 little 6" walleyes! In 20+ years of fishing this spot I had only caught 1 walleye there and it was just last fall and that one was 17". This spot is upstream of the Brecksville spillway that was just removed. I figure I will be catching sheephead there soon too.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,691 Posts
To far to be from ladue they are from erie. They did net survey 2 years ago and got eyes and darters in the independence area. And they got eye fry which obviously means there is walleye spawning up the hoga for the first time in god knows how long. Good to here should boost the resident fish pop in cle

·
Johnny tsunami
3,691 Posts
Doubtful. I was reading an dnr article about stocks and conservation focuses and they generally only stock sauger in non erie watershed and focus more on making spawn runs for walleye and steel better thus part of the reason the dams are coming down. Which in my mind good! Be sweet to go park by Brandywine and catch a hog eye or 2

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Those were definitely overflow from laude dams prevented any from erie going that far
During this time frame there was still several Dams on the upper cuyahoga. One i caught would have had to have fallen down at least 3 dams and the 1 that my brother caught would have had to a fallen down at least 4 dams including the gorge dam because he caught his in the 1st pool below the dam were that natural waterfall is.

I'm not denying that these fish came from Ladue Because obviously they did not migrate up from Lake Erie But they must have been some real survivors to travel so many miles downstream and surviving over all those dams, especially the gorge dam which I would think would be a fish killer.

This being said it leads to me to believe there is possibly a tiny amount of reproduction in these sections.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
If they came from la due and one dam , then they had to go through lake Rockwell and another dam, doubt it with that size he caught. Plus Rockwell is huge not likely to go over or under the dam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
To add we do have a decent pike fishery in the Hoga and they were never historically present in the upper reaches away from Erie. They were introduced many years ago when the ODNR stocked many of the lakes with pike,including LaDue and that created the pike population in the hoga.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Took the day off yesterday to work on my deck. Did a little fishing first though. Went to my favorite smallmouth spot on the Hoga. Didn't catch a single smallie!!! Water flow was decent and it wasn't too cloudy from the rain the night before, so I don't understand it. Used all my favorite smallie lures and got nothing. Switched to using a half a nightcrawler on a jighead and kept getting bites from little bait stealing basturds! Had a hard time hooking them. Switched to gulp minnows and a smaller jighead and finally started catching the little basturds! Got gills, creek chubs, and white perch.

The new fish I was catching though was walleye!!! Got 2 little 6" walleyes! In 20+ years of fishing this spot I had only caught 1 walleye there and it was just last fall and that one was 17". This spot is upstream of the Brecksville spillway that was just removed. I figure I will be catching sheephead there soon too.
Iv'e heard of Walleyes being caught in the early spring(like March) at the Brecksville Dam which is no longer there or close to being removed.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,691 Posts
During this time frame there was still several Dams on the upper cuyahoga. One i caught would have had to have fallen down at least 3 dams and the 1 that my brother caught would have had to a fallen down at least 4 dams including the gorge dam because he caught his in the 1st pool below the dam were that natural waterfall is.

I'm not denying that these fish came from Ladue Because obviously they did not migrate up from Lake Erie But they must have been some real survivors to travel so many miles downstream and surviving over all those dams, especially the gorge dam which I would think would be a fish killer.

This being said it leads to me to believe there is possibly a tiny amount of reproduction in these sections.
I doubt reproduction is happening in the river but i would say some fry stocked at ladue are being washed downstream and cycle through it takes a couple years for them to get keeper size and we know they can cover some serious distance. Granted there might be some small repo in Rockwell and ladue that contribute but from what ive been told the natural repo in those lakes is less than 1% that's spawn survival rates. Maybe they getting flushed down the hoga

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I doubt reproduction is happening in the river but i would say some fry stocked at ladue are being washed downstream and cycle through it takes a couple years for them to get keeper size and we know they can cover some serious distance. Granted there might be some small repo in Rockwell and ladue that contribute but from what ive been told the natural repo in those lakes is less than 1% that's spawn survival rates. Maybe they getting flushed down the hoga
Oh, I agree that if there is any reproduction in the hoga that far upstream, it would be minuscule but definitely possible. Most likely they came from Ladue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
From what I’ve always understood or read. The “main” issues with walleye natural reproduction is habitat, more specifically lacking flow of water. Eggs become covered in silt and more or less ruins them. I know there is a lot more variables to be added but to my understanding that’s one of the main factors at inland lakes. It’s also one of the reasons walleye prefer a rocky area in steadily flowing water. They say large deep wind blown lakes have better than usual odds of natural reproduction but who knows. Anyways, I would think with removal of dams that the odds of natural reproduction is some areas would go up in river.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With the many miles of river that just opened up to the walleye, I'm sure they will find a few places with rocks or gravel that they could try and spawn in. Not sure how successful the spawns will be, but it should be better than it was.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Excited to hear all of this as the hoga is my main trib. If the water quality improves it would be great to see a resident population. I don’t keep many fish, but if I catch a keeper eye it is going to the cooler. I still wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping a hoga eye as I’ve seen the poor water conditions after big rains and just the poor management of water quality because of the dams. How does everyone else feel about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts