Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year of tossing the idea around we went an put a deposit down on a black lab today. Will hopefully be bringing him home the first part of October at a little over 2 months old.
I was reluctant at first. But we have the yard for it. My kids are at a great age for it. My wife was going to get one eventually anyways. So here we are.
I'm starting to get pretty excited myself.
Here is bubba gump
Dog Dog breed Canidae Puppy Child

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,847 Posts
If the kids like the pup, you are set! If the pup likes he kids, likewise.

But, you are still saddled with the task of establishing yourself as lead dog in the pack! The pup will wonder where it belongs until you establish that.

Do that as soon as you can!

·
Registered
666 Posts

But, you are still saddled with the task of establishing yourself as lead dog in the pack! The pup will wonder where it belongs until you establish that.

They are great family dogs.Had one many years ago.They need lots of exercise the first couple years in that puppy stage. Like to chew furniture legs too .I used a wire catch at night and seemed to help a lot potty training.Congatulations

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes! We also keep telling the kids not to let this dog rule them. To be stern when needed. It's the first family dog so it's all new. I think they'll do great! We dont have the biggest yard,but do have a nice back yard that's fenced in for free roam,and a huge park with woods and a nice creek we plan on spending lots of time at a couple blocks away.
Should be a great fit!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes! We also keep telling the kids not to let this dog rule them. To be stern when needed. It's the first family dog so it's all new. I think they'll do great! We dont have the biggest yard,but do have a nice back yard that's fenced in for free roam,and a huge park with woods and a nice creek we plan on spending lots of time at a couple blocks away.
Should be a great fit!
They love water,don't allow any nipping or jumping up on you from the start .Reward is better than disipline IMO

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Beautiful pup, Saugeye. I'm on my second chocolate right now who's going to be 10 in November.
He's the most loyal person i've ever known. Yes, i meant to say "person" cuz he acts like one and is much nicer than any i know. This critter actually understands what i'm saying.....for real.
You got a lot of good advice from the guys here so you need none from me.
Good luck with him and great for the kids, just don't plan on going to the mens rooms alone anymore.......LOL

·
Registered
454 Posts
Congrats on the pup. Labs are great. We raised labs for years and always recommended a book called “Mother Knows Best” by Carol Lea Benjamin. It described the pack mentality of dogs and showed how to raise a dog through the dog’s Mother’s eyes.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,137 Posts
Yes sir 100% family dog that will live inside

MUCH ENVY!!! x2

Through the years,
I've had 3 German Shepard's,,,, taught them all 100% obedience,,,,,, & they made 'good' rabbit & squirrel jumpers. Awesome 'friends', 24-7-365.
Then I had a fantastic husky mix,,, a blue-eyed hunting wonder, but way too fast on rabbits,,,, she always wanted to catch'em!
SO,,,,
I begged my daughter to buy a LAB when the kids were ready, & she recently came home with a JACK RUSSEL TERROR!!!
One hyper hard-headed sob,,, that won't listen to anything!
She lets it off the yard leash & it FLIES OFF into the woods & eats every kind of SCAT & carrion it can find,,,,, & then PUKES ALL OVER THE HOUSE RUGS! %$#@!*!!!

MAN,,, I'm so glad you got a beautiful LAB,,,,,, & FAMILY! ;>)
CONGRATS.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts