Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys fished out of bula a couple times finally got some reels (with counters, finally). How do you guys line them? Do you put mono under the braided line? What pound line do you use? IS braided the way to go? Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Like misdirection said 30# braid. We are assuming they are for dipsy divers.

if your spooling new reels filling the spools to max capacity is the most important. Your only going to need 150 yds or so of braid. Your gonna want to make sure that once the braid is over the backing the spoon is filled to 1/8" of the top of the spool. If not the line counter will not be accurate. Dialing in a program will be very difficult.
Every reel takes a different amount of backing to make the spools full. Once I find the right amount of backing I then add the braid. I will mark a 100' run out on my driveway. Once I think I have a full spool I will walk my rod down the driveway and see if the counter matches the 100' mark. However, I do not cut the braid until I find the exact amount of line. If your counter reads less then 100, you have too much on the spool. If it reads over then 100, you have too little.

I use 20# mono for my backing. If you let us know what reels your running I'm sure some guys will have some numbers for your spools.

Years past I never calibrated my reels. I would have a hard time matching others programs in the area and catching fish. Never new what is was doing wrong.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Eyedream is correct about calibrating your reels. Catching fish on Erie is all about consistency. Having calibrated reels is very important. Likewise for other setup's like wire, etc...but having lime counters is a step in the right direction.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
464 Posts
I do the same as eyedreamn but when I pull out the 100' in my driveway, I then mark
the reel with the count that is shown. That is if the reel counter shows 108 when I
have 100' out, I write 108 on that reel. Then when fishing I know exactly where 100'
is and just add 8 to whatever count I want to have back. Will be pretty darn close.
EB

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,123 Posts
how much line you put on depends on how you plan to use these reels. i use mine on big boards running from a 9' mast on my Baha - and use the same reels for dipsys and downrigger. i put 200 yards (yes yards) of 30# braid on these with 30# mono backer. as others have said, you need to fully fill the reel to have the counter be somewhat accurate. regardless you should check that 100' on the counter is 100' of actual line - if not, you need to adjust somewhere. i am happy with +-5' either way as although braid does not stretch, the way it lays on your reel will vary depending on dry/wet and how tight it is wound and the diameter of the reel as the line lays on it will affect the calibration somewhat. i can't give you actual numbers for backer since every reel brand/model is somewhat different. here is what you do. put your first braid (200 yards in my case) directly on a reel and then fill the reel with backer - this is reverse from what you will use when fishing. i then run this line from one reel onto another. set the line counter to 0 when you start pulling the mono backer off the first reel. see how far you crank that mono onto the 2nd reel. this is how far you will crank mono on all your other reels to then be followed with the braid (200 yards in my case).

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I also have been putting 200 yards of braid on. I also use mine on the big boards so I need enough for the board and letting the lure out (and for the occasional steelhead who wants to go back to Canada).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts