close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Dog

Discussion in 'Upland Game and Hunting Dogs' started by Saugeye 1, Aug 25, 2007.

1. I just aquired a two year old male Brittney Spaniel.
    Was wondering if anyone has a Brittney or Brittney's
    that they hunt grouse with and maybe I could meet
    up and see if mine will get into the grove of birdhunting.
    I haven't hunted birds for quite a few years but want to
    get back into it. I live in Stark County.
    Will be able to travel within an hour or so...
    No idea as of right now if the parents of my dog were
    hunters or not.

2. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i have a brittany, and another on the way... i'd be glad to get together with ya. do you have access to any birds? (pigeons/quail)

3. No....no access to either. I am in the process of trying to figure out the best
    way to get him trained for birds. We are both new to each other and not really sure what the previous owner had involved him with....
    I'll get him trained....just need some help as far as advice and method.

Thanks

4. littleking

lets get together sometime

5. That we will do.....I'll be getting in touch with ya.

6. I just got some pigeons today..
    Was messen around with draggen one thru the yard then
    would bring the dog out and see if he would get birdee
    and point where the bird was at ( tied up in a sack )
    He want's to attack the pigeon..... no pointing involved.
    Any ideas as to get him to point instead of being so aggressive.
    He will for the most part listen to my commands but
    he seems to way aggressive as to attacking a bird rather then
    point.
    I need some help !!!!

7. wow, sounds like you got your hands full. Your best bet is to get with someone that has some pointing dog knowledge. Do not let him get to or catch any birds or your training will prolong for him to point. Pm me your no. and I will try to get you on track....

8. You need either wild birds, good flushing pigeons, or a launcher. You need to have the bird fly when the dog gets close. If you are using a launcher this is best. Let the dog go and when he gets close enough to smell it and don't stop launch the bird. Keep doing this over and over and he will start pointing when he smells it. You can also use a checkcord to encourge the stopping on scent but if you have a loft and homers then I would just keep letting him flush until he figures it out.

9. littleking

his prey drive is high, thats great, like ohiogsp said, work him with a check cord, or launchers...

10. Strong flying pigeon in a harness tied with about 50 feet of heavy fishing line to a flag pole. Work dog on checkcord and never let him get hold of the birds. Also start working "Whoa" there are a few tutorials online that will help you do this in the yard.