close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New deck

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by osprey, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Hi everyone! I'm going to use pressure treated plywood to replace my deck sometime this summer.My queston is how long will it need to dry before I glue down new carpet?I've already purchased the wood and it probably weighs 150lbs or more....Any body out there had experience with this? Thank's,Osprey

2. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

hello osprey
    I just bought my treated plywood today to redeck my pontoon. my son in law used to work at clendening marina and told me after putting the wood down to wait a couple days just so the surface dry and the glue should stick just fine.
    bttmline

3. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Pressure treated is ok but marine grade plywood is the best. It is a little pricey, but it isn't full of moisture like treated. Make sure you use a exterior grade glue for the carpet .

4. My dad and I redecked the pontoon this winter. It is a 70 something model that he bought last summer. The last people that redecked it took the cheap way out. Treated floor at best, and evrery thing else untreated. After it dried out over the winter, the carpet was all that held some sections of the floor together.

It turned out to be a bit pricey. Stainless steel elevator bolts were a bit pricey (I think we got them for about $4 or $6 each, with list at about $8), as we had to cut off all of the old steel ones. Marine grade plywood was a steal at $80 a sheet. Many places wanted $125 w/ a 20 sheet min. I couldn't have turned out nicer. Also rebuilt and reupholstered the seats and console out of treated wood. I would suggest spending the money and doing it right, if at all possible. It will leave less of a headache in the future for you or the next owner.

Another note, our pontoon had custom made tarps that everyone said would not go back on after redecking. After our work, it lines up closer to the original holes, as well as having the tarps fit a bit loose. We were very happy. Oops, I still have a couple of wires left to run now that I think of it.

Joe