Ohio Game Fishing banner
121 - 140 of 143 Posts
Discussion starter · #122 ·
Bite was bad for me on monday. Launched on wv side and fished as far up the lock as i could. Snagged one paddlefish. Marks were scattered..water temp was 39 water was clear maybe 2 ft visibility and hardly any current. Level was around 14ft.

THANKS for that Dir.
Were you on the wall, or casting the bricks?
I'm just wondering how much flow is still coming through #11? The last time I was there, it seemed to be 'leaking' more than usual,,,, we couldn't hit the bottom with a jig

THANKS for that Dir.
Were you on the wall, or casting the bricks?
I'm just wondering how much flow is still coming through #11? The last time I was there, it seemed to be 'leaking' more than usual,,,, we couldn't hit the bottom with a jig
Bricks mostly. My buddy fished up near cross rock, but didn’t stick anything.
Gates 9-11 were closed when we got there, so the flow was heading toward the gates. Usually not ideal, but the current was at a reasonable rate and the fish were fairly active from the get go.
FYI....gate 11 has been repaired and is no longer leaking.

"gate 11 has been repaired and is no longer leaking".

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW, ABOUT TIME!!!! Amen I say! Now, That area 'should' fill up with fish!
How about EGGS? Any of your fish have eggs in them?

Did you try jigging or drifting worms? (ya, I know it's kinda early, but)
One Day, I got there & there were 3 young locals already fishing. Every time they dropped a 1/3 piece of worm, bare hook and a big split into the water, AND JUST LET IT DRIFT from the end of the wall towards the gait, (backwards current) they had a fish on!
THEY said that that was the only way that they fished down there.

Same deal happened to me & 'Primo' last year. 2 guys came down the 'hill' at another Dam, THEY put 2" of worm on a drifting hook & just SMOKED the sauger & eyes. They quickly caught limit while we just jaw-dropped & watched! When I asked them what time of year they usually start using worms,,,, they said that they never stop!
"The EYES want worms".

Seems crazy,,,, every time I cut open an eye, I see baitfish!?
So,,,,,,,, Just a FYI,,,, but I will NEVER fish The Ohio again, WITHOUT TRYING A DRIFTED WORM.

Man, You got me excited 'bout that #11 gait! Finally completely CLOSED!
lol,,, I'll have to figure out how to take the Lockmaster & crew a PIZZA!
Thanks. Made My Day! ;>)

"gate 11 has been repaired and is no longer leaking".

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW, ABOUT TIME!!!! Amen I say! Now, That area 'should' fill up with fish!
How about EGGS? Any of your fish have eggs in them?

Did you try jigging or drifting worms? (ya, I know it's kinda early, but)
One Day, I got there & there were 3 young locals already fishing. Every time they dropped a 1/3 piece of worm, bare hook and a big split into the water, AND JUST LET IT DRIFT from the end of the wall towards the gait, (backwards current) they had a fish on!
THEY said that that was the only way that they fished down there.

Same deal happened to me & 'Primo' last year. 2 guys came down the 'hill' at another Dam, THEY put 2" of worm on a drifting hook & just SMOKED the sauger & eyes. They quickly caught limit while we just jaw-dropped & watched! When I asked them what time of year they usually start using worms,,,, they said that they never stop!
"The EYES want worms".

Seems crazy,,,, every time I cut open an eye, I see baitfish!?
So,,,,,,,, Just a FYI,,,, but I will NEVER fish The Ohio again, WITHOUT TRYING A DRIFTED WORM.

Man, You got me excited 'bout that #11 gait! Finally completely CLOSED!
lol,,, I'll have to figure out how to take the Lockmaster & crew a PIZZA!
Thanks. Made My Day! ;>)
Okay, outta church now!! Wife gives me the elbow when I texting during service.
I completely understand your excitement about gate 11, although it did force me to learn how, and more importantly, when to fish the Ohio side.
Okay...Q&A...the five saugeye we kept were all males.
My buddy ran a slip rig with what looked like a 1/16 oz jig w/ minnow. No dice on that program...lil’ surprising to say the least. Most of the damage was taken on the standard 1/4 ta 3/8 oz chartreuse on chartreuse twister, tipped with just minnow head. Slow, slow, slow return. Pretty standard procedure this time of year for me.
PM Doboy if your gonna be down there this coming Thursday and Friday. I’ll be there at 6am for the predawn bite. Love to pick that sage brain of yours one of these days!!!

Fished by boat yesterday on the W.Va. side from the first gravel bar up to where the buoys should be... caught 3 walleyes, all 16" throwbacks. Going to hit the Ohio side from shore in the rain as soon as I get the littles on the school bus. (All three caught on plastic swims.)

Bub,,,,,
You see this projected water el for NC?
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/riv...141372,141907,143683,152963&data[]=hydrograph

Thursday, Fri & sat, looking very inviting,,,,,, for the Ohio side. AND if all the gaits are open, way down on the WV side.

Fished the ohio shore yesterday for only an hour and a half and got on 18" walleye, it was my first time ever trying catch one
Thanks for that, DC.
More info please,,,,, What were you using & or throwing?
Did you eat 'em? If so,,, Any eggs?

Fished by boat yesterday on the W.Va. side from the first gravel bar up to where the buoys should be... caught 3 walleyes, all 16" throwbacks. Going to hit the Ohio side from shore in the rain as soon as I get the littles on the school bus. (All three caught on plastic swims.)

Bub....Was the New C ramp cleaned off, no mud ?

Awful quiet around here.... I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to be hard to find an open rock to stand on at the lock this weekend... I'll be on mosquito for a bass tournament Saturday. Might put a few hours at the dam either Monday or Tuesday of next week though...

Awful quiet around here.... I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to be hard to find an open rock to stand on at the lock this weekend... I'll be on mosquito for a bass tournament Saturday. Might put a few hours at the dam either Monday or Tuesday of next week though...
yep, you can bet on that at the river,but i would bet that youre going to be dodging a lot of boats at skeeter and not just the bass guys either!

121 - 140 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.