close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Contest: Biggest Sheephead (drum) pic

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bronzebackyac, Jun 14, 2007.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

So we all complain when we catch sheephead and we get pissed when they eat our live bait. (especially our last creek chub or hellgie) But, they are a game fish and the do put up a good fight, heck the Fish Ohio pin was a drum a year or so ago, so lets give em some credit and have a "biggest sheephead contest" this summer. Post your pics and comments here. My quess is the biggest will come from Lake Erie or the Ohio or Scioto River.

'll start with this one. It came at 7:30 in the morning on my first cast with a 4 inch creek chub. I thought I had a monster smallie at first, but when it stayed down I knew it was either a drum or a catfish. 22'' of pure muscle.lol
    FISH OHIO.
    [​IMG]

2. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

Heres my 23" bruiser from the public pier at Port Clinton. Got him on a crawler on the bottom. An incredible day of cats and sheep. [​IMG]

3. just kidding, with my luck, i'm sure to match this one.

Attached Files:

4. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

I caught one almost 30" last year.
    I dont have a pic.

5. had a 26" tonight no pic---had a 28.5" last year

6. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

I really don't know what the exact size of this one was but it was a monster (that's my brother) I don't catch sheepies ! LOL !:D

Attached Files:

7. I dont have the ability to post pics but I caught one about 6 or 8lbs out of Erie in 05, in about 25' of water I was a tired pup when it was done(more than he was anyway:D )

8. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Couple 26 inchers I've caught. Neither from this year, thankfully! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Bronzy, i am with you, the drum is a great fighting fish, they get a bad rap but the freshwater drum is the only freshwater relative of the salt water red drum or redfish. As you know the redfish is a very popular saltwater game fish. Just turn on espn 2 on a sat or sun morning and you will see the redfish tourny's all over the place. I say if you cant beat them than catch them. My best this year is about 3 1/2 caught on a size 16 stone fly nymph while smallmouth fishing on lmr. I hope to have more this year so I will try to get some pics up.
    Nice fish guys S

10. We caught a couple so big they looked like ocean flounder :B coming up on our Erie trip last weekend, but I don't allow them in my boat so no pics:)
    You are forced to do the quick release or hold it over the side while trolling on my rig!

Biggest I have ever seen came from OH River a few years back while I was Flattie fishing with my dad. Rod with 3 live shad on it dropped hard and steady so I let Dad take it and we thought for sure it was a big shovel head - it was over 22lbs on the digital (looked like 40lbs)! I'll see if I can find a picture because we actually brought it into the boat and took photos it was so large!

11. I'm with you fish-n-fool! They may be a good fight (till the carpet roll on top) but man they are so ugly and they stink!! You let one flop around in the boat and the whole boat stinks for hours :) I can't even imagine holding one long enough to get a picture :)

12. marsh

marsh atwood amateur

Winner cause he's happy about it.

Attached Files:

13. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

i took a decent 25" on wendsday when smallmouth fishing off the islands.
    actually i couldnt keep em away from us and switched gears started and trolling for eyes and damned if they followed us.

a few of the larger ones thump and run pretty hard....had me fooled.:mad:

14. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

Man, those are some large drums...I need to hook one of those. The biggest I have ever hooked was around 16".

15. I landed 2 fish ohio's (22" and 24") last year. I love catching them while Perch fishing it is so much fun fighting them but I dont like catching them trolling very much.

16. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

i talked 2 a guy that actually ate them... does any1 else i dont like them personally but my dad and i have 4 fish ohios this year from erie... 22-2 23-1 24-1 all from fishin for wallys and perch :B (no pics... who cares u can catch a million)

17. Mac

Mac

A couple years ago I went out on a head boat. The captain kept all the sheephead we caught. I went back out the next weekend with the same captain and he had pickled them. I had a piece (after some ribbing) and was surprised how good it tasted.

18. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Here is one of my biggest. If I remember correctly it was around 28". I got it on a tube fishing for bass in the harbor. It put up a great fight.

[​IMG]

19. true2plue

true2plue TEAM BATO!!

I've NEVER caught one before!!!!!