close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Catfish rod

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by bachelorfishman, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Catfish rods. 8 foot HEAVY action, not medium heavy, but HEAVY
    2 piece is what I want. Does anyone have advice? My cat rods are probably 20 years old at least. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks, Karl

Also, what brand, and what price? under 200$ preferabley

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

if you really want to stay under $200 you should be able to find anything you want. Heck my St Croix Classic Cat Rods were only $150. The only ting you are going to have trouble w/ is finding them in 2 piece rods. Try www.catfishconnection.com

3. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Personally, I think anyone that spends more than 60 or so bucks on a catfish rod is a little silly. It's catfish, people. Your not drift fishing for light hitting walleye. My current rods are Eagle Claw 11' 2 piece Heavy action casting rods. the tackle shop where I purchased them cut about 9 or 10 inches off the end and put a new tip on for me. So they are around 10' 2". They are almost as stiff as the Ugly Stick Extra Heavy casting rods. All for $30 a piece. had them for 3 years now. Perfect for beating the crap out of on the river, with plenty of backbone to lean on a big fish. Speaking of those, Ugly Sticks would be a good place to start looking.

Again check local tackle shops. If you are near Cincinnati, I recommend Afields on Harrison Avenue.

4. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

An Ugly Stik Catfishing rod is about $30 from Bass Pro or you can get a Bass Pro CatMaxx for $40. I have a 2 2-piece Zebco Catstik rods and I got them for $8 at Bass Pro. They are however Medium Heavy instead of Heavy. I matched them up with 2 Bass Pro CatMaxx reels for $50 each. It works great for me.

If I may ask, why are you wanting a Heavy action rod unless you will be catching some monster cat all the time?

5. Tiger Rod

Check out the 2 piece model, should be the first one on the list.

6. I was looking at the Bass pro catmaxx baitcast reel and rod combo.
    What do you think about this set up? It is a one piece tho.And what line do you spool up on your reel?

Thanks for any feedback soua0363.

Dave

7. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I have only the reels and they are very nice for the dollar compare to others that offer the same setups...centrifugal brake system and instant anti-reverse. Once you set it up correctly, you can launch your bait out without any backlash at all. I have 20 lbs test Berkley Big Game on both. It holds quite a bit of line so you dont have to worry about not having enough line. As I said, I have the reels on 2 7'-6" MH Zebco 2-piece Catsticks and they pair up pretty nice. I want to get a CatMaxx rod or Ugly Stick Catfish rod for one of them but havent had the chance to go up to Bass Pro lately. Dont get me wrong, the Zebco Catsticks do work pretty good for how much I spent on them. They have good strong backbone for fighting the big cats and have sensitive tip to allow me to see nibbles and light bites. I just want two different setups just because the money is burning my pocket. :)

To set the centrifugal brake system, you pull out the spool and push in or out the weights depending on your style of casting or whatever weight you are using. I have all my weights out as I have been casting a 2 ounce lead weight plus the weight of the bait. It casts pretty far even with all the brake weights up.

8. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Whuppin Sticks are a great value you can get a 7', 8' or even a 9' ft. 2 pc rod for less than $30 with a 10yr garantee...check cabelas

9. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I have 2 of the Catmaxx combos.....a heavy and MH

I love them! Obviously that is why I bought the second one! ;) Personally, I love these rods. The reels are great too, but most people compain about the clicker not being loud....I have no problem hearing them though. I think the combos are only 70 bucks or so...in my eyes, a hard combo to beat for the price. For line, I use Berkley Iron Silk. I love the line and have never had a problem with it.

10. I am still looking for rods. Heck, may as well buy a reel while I am at it. I aint bought a reel in a while. And Iron silk is great. I bought a bulk spool. the 65$ spool ya know, of 12 pound test. I go through so much of it, I thought it would be a good buy you know. I got it last december, and still have well over half of it left. I like the line. I use the 6 lb on my crappie rigs, 12 for the bass rigs. 17 and 40 lb on the cat rigs. Anybody have a color they like well, I use the Solar color on the cat rigs because I am night fishing with them at times and don't feel like lookin everywhere for my line. But it really makes no difference, the line is still great. I really want a good baitcaster for cats, because they really pull the fish in well. They PULL them in. it winds the line straight back, and not wrapped around like a spinning. anyway. thanks for the advice, now lets hear about reels! I have old saltwater baitcasters. Would like to stick with salt reels, because they are just cool.
    Karl

11. I never use the bait clickers. I sit with baitcaster in hand, and can feel a hit. and the spinning reel clicks when the drag goes out. May as well toss a throw line if you don't wanna feel for the hits. *sigh* rod fishing is just so much more fun. The line throwers loss, not mine.

12. Thanks for the feedback soua and rockfish,Yea you can get the combo setup on bass pro for like 73.00 bucks including shiping and tax's.

Great deal in my mind.I think i will be getting one.Dont know what line i will put on yet :confused:

Thanks again on the feedback.

Dave

13. One of the reasons i am going to the baitcaster is for the clicker :D In the fall and early winter we do alot of night fishing on the boat and use very little light,so i thought the cclicker would be nice :D

To each thier own eh? Sorry to jump in on your thread bachelorfishman.
    Hope ya get some feed back on some rods :D ;)

Dave

14. Slikster

Slikster Shore Bound

www.catfishconnection.com <--- go there! It's the most affordable place in the world for catfish geat!

I picked up a 9' NiteStick for $22 last month. Awesome rod!