Ohio Game Fishing banner

new carper

803 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  RiverRat 
#1 ·
i want to start to do some c&r carping. i now a couple of lakes by me that have carp in them. dut i have a ? what is the average time it takes for carp to start feeding in the area that u chum i know it verys alot but just give me a estamate please. i am going to try forthe first time today but i havent chummed or anything.

#2 ·
i generally give them a couple hours to show themselves or them getting hooked.. if i dont get a bite or a nibble after a couple hours, i move to another spot to see if they will bite there.. for start i would chum out about a can and wait.. :)

#4 ·
Yea its a lot different from water to water and a big difference from lake to river.
I normally fish areas of rivers i know carp are in...only thing chum does for me is hold them in the area longer and concentrates them to my feeding area.

I dont chum a lot unless the area or body or water holds a very large number of fish(ie ohio river) then i will put in about a 5 gal bucket of corn in a day....and repeat this each day i fish that area.

Most of the time it only takes less than an hour to start seeing fish roll or jump over your pile of chum. I normally put chum in the water every hour with a spod or catapult or both....plus each time i cast out my bait, since i always run method feeders full of ground bait, i consider that "chumming" too.

"Chum it, they will come"

Scott

#7 ·
AK hit it right on the money...
"if i see them showing themselves, more than half of my work is already done.."

If i can see them..i can catch them!!

Scott

#10 ·
Most of the time if there is a large population of carp in the area the smaller more numerous carp will be on top of your chum....the wiser larger carp will hold along the edges and will only come onto the chum pile once they feel "safe". Most of the time the larger carp will feed on the chum pile once they feel confident......if theres a lot of action on the chum with the smaller fish, they will attract the attention of the big fish.

I feel that the bigger carp will visit a chum pile that your regularly "topping off" during low light conditions and after dark...i think this is when they are the least "spooked".

A lot of guys feel a large chum pile will turn away the larger wiser carp, thinking this unnatural "pile" will alarm them to danger....i think they are correct in away, but the longer you chum a certain spot, i feel they get more confortable with it and feed regularly on the chum. I also feel after the big boys learn that theres plenty of easy free food they will take over the pile during certain times of the day...they can even be patterned to increase your chances of catching the biggest fish in that area.

I think carp roll and jump to signal other carp of food...many times i have fished over a big chum pile and watched them constantly roll over my chum for a few hours with no hits(other than a few line beeps), then all of a sudden the action is hot and heavy....why? because i think at first it spooks them and puts them on thier guard until a few fish move in and out of the pile and gain confidence...then once this happens they all start to feed. Once this happens i think some sort of feeding frenzy happens and they dont spook very easily...thats why you can catch fish after fish off of a one chum pile in a short amount of time...they are competing for the chum.

If im putting the effort and time to heavily chum a swim for many days..once i start to fish it i fish it for many many hours each trip....when that window opens i want to be there ready. I also always fish one rod in the chum pile..one rod outside of the "circle"(to pick up the bigger fish).

just my thoughts,

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.