New Canoe ??'s

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by cantsleep, Jun 14, 2008.

1. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

OK guys, I'm gettiing a canoe for Fathers Day (don't tell anyone, I'm not supposed to know about it) and I've got a couple questions.
    1. The canoe is made of Ram-x, and I've heard it's hard to get stickers to stay on. Any help? Am I allowed to paint or stencil my numbers on, or do they have to be stickers?
    2.It is not a square back, but in the future I will probably want to put a trolling motor on it. Is this something that can be done easily?

Thanks, and hope to see you guys on the water soon.

2. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i have a ram-x canoe and have no problem with the stickers staying on. the important thing is to clean and dry the area good. as far as the trolling motor, i can't help you there.

3. pizza

pizza

if there is a place to attach a cut off 2X4 and a coouple c-clamps you are golden with the trolling motor.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

5. cantsleep

Thanks for link misfit, that looks perfect.
    Can't wait to get her out.

6. cantsleep

O.K, Wednesday morning is my maiden voyage, I'll be fishing Rush Run, a small electric only lake in SW Ohio. I think I'll stick to smaller lakes until I get real comfortable with it, then move on to the LMR.
    I'll post a report.

7. cantsleep

Got out for a couple of hours this morning. Between my daughter and me caught 4 LM, all looked like twins, about 12in. Daughter used minnows, I caught mine on yellow spinner baits.
    Canoe seems a little top heavy, we ended up sitting on the floor and paddling. Never been in a canoe that felt that tippy. Course the only other canoes I'd ever been in were rentals.
    The canoe is a Pelican Explorer DLX, 15 1/2 feet. I know it's a cheaper brand, but I won't complain since it came from the kids. It paddled and handled well, but we just could not sit on the seats. Could I replace the seats with someting that sits a little lower, or am I kinda stuck here?

8. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i have a pelican myself, not that model, but did not have a problem with it being top heavy. give it a few more trips. not a bad canoe for the money. sit on the seats and get used to it, mine is a little tippier than my alum, but you will get used to it.

9. you could lower your seats 2" the closer you can get your rear end to the water line the more stable your boat will be. you could also build or buy outriggers for your boat i have a set for my old town guide and you couldnt tip it if you had to.

10. pizza

pizza

first (few)time(s) in a canoe always feel tippy. Give it time and I think you will adjust nicely. Basically just like anything it takes some practice to get used to.

11. cantsleep

Oh, I have no intention of giving up. I'm just excited to have something to get out on the water!
    Thanks for the help guys.

12. cantsleep

but I have been having a blast in the canoe. You were right, a little practice and the "tippy" feeling went away. Heck, I was standing in the thing making a few casts yesterday!
    Getting ready to try out Acton and CC lakes with it. Now I just need to start catching a few more fish.:)

13. Now that your use to it you may want to try a river float with other canoers. The fishing is awesome on the rivers and creeks and the only way to get to the honey holes is by canoe. Lake canoeing is alot more intense paddling compared to moving waters. I wouldn't go alone though.