New Bunks?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by FISHERBALL, Oct 11, 2007.

1. My trailer bunks are rotted, does anyone know the best material to use? I've been looking for redwood 2x6's & no one seems to stock them. Is there something else that works as well & is available? I can get cedar which resists rot but it strikes me as too soft. How about a inexpensive place to get carpet.

Thanks!

Fisherball

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

treated 2x4 home depot....

3. yep, I used treated deck lumber and it's holding up fine after 2 yrs. I ordered the carpeting from cabelas. I suppose you can check local carpet outlets for remnants.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

marine carpet at loews/home depot.

5. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I also used the Marine carpet from Home depot, I think I got all the wood and carpet for under 20 bucks.

6. Cool Beans! Thanks. I'll go to Home Depot tonight or tomorrow & maybe have new boat in water over weekend! I took motor off an new boat & mounted on stand I built, then took this motor off older boat & remounted onto newer boat. Talk about feeling macho! I'm not a mechanic. Always use stainless steel bolts. I took bolts from older boat & cleaned with wire brush on drill & you can't tell they are 26 wet years old. I'll offer old boat as restoration project & not running Johnson 115 hp on Marketplace Forum real cheap b/4 weekend.

7. If you have an aluminum boat, from what I have read, donot use treated lumber. The chemicals react with the aluminum.

8. Fiberglass. The government required lumber companies to use a different chemical to treat wood used in houses (not just pressure treated) & now stainless steel fastners have to be used. Wonder why the cost of a new house keeps going up! Stainless nails.

9. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

how bigs the boat? i didnt like the 2x4 for stregnth. wanted something stronger, so i went with 2 treated 1x6's. waterproof glued and screwed (galvanized) them together and covered them with the indoor/outdoor carpet. i got everything at home depot. :D

10. 16', manfacturer's info puts total boat & motor at about 1500#. Rotted bunks are 2 x 6, that's what I'll use as replacements.

11. I used 2 x4's for mine. Bass Pro shops sells a carpet that is meant for trailers. I got that. Was pretty cheap. Home depot has nice carpet too, thats what I use on the inside of my boat.

12. I put treated 2X4s then put these on top....
    http://www.bunkaps.com/

should be good for many years! I really like them.

13. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

A little trick I learned to help the boat slide on the bunks very easy is to spray a light mist of Pledge on the carpet every 3 to 5 trips. Be careful though, It will slide like its on rollers.

14. I know the cost will probably be prohibitive for making trailer bunks but for those of you looking for Clear Redwood, Construction Redwood, Roughsawn Cedar, Clear Cedar, Cypress, Atlantic White Cedar or Mohogany, ANY other species you can think of also. "teak" Keim Lumber in Charm has it. Will also cut to size and shape. planed or rough even sanded on both sides ready for finish.

Free delivery in 150 mile radius of Charm, this covers "most" of OHIO. www.keimlumber.com 1-800-362-6682

Redwoods and Cedars are available in 1x4 1x6 1x8 1x10 1x12 and 2x4 2x6 2x8 2x10 and 2x12 and 4x4 lengths on these are 8,10,12,14,16foot long.

Some sizes also avail. on special order that I've seen there up to 6x12-20' and 12x12-24' I've seen some mohogany there go to some high end boat repair and restoration shops in rough 4/4 and 6/4 form and also some custom molded mouldings of mohogany and cypress. Also some 16' Atlantic White Cedar was shipped to Dayton for a customer who makes cedar strip canoes. They also have an extensive supply of Stainless Steel fasteners and screws of every type. I built my dual collapsable planer boards out of 1x6 redwood.

Older chemicals CCA -has red warning tag-CopperChromatedArsonate
    the arsonate is arsenic poison bad stuff.

Newer chemicals for treating lumber ACQ -has green warning tag, stating do not use in direct contact with aluminum. AlkalineCopperQuatertnary All ACQ types contain 2 active ingredients which may vary within the following limits: copper oxide (62%-71%), which is the primary fungicide and insecticide, and a quaternary ammonium compound (29%-38%), which provides additional fungicide and insect resistance properties