close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New boss of the tank

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by pendog66, Jan 27, 2008.

1. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

in my girlfriends 55 gallon tank it is dominated by some nice oscars, my bluegill bryan and pee wee the mean green sunfish. The catfish keep to themselves eating the blood worms and brime shrimp. Well now theres a new boss of the fish tank, the other oscars maybe be triple the size of him or even bigger but he will big the biggest in the end and the oscars may someday become food for him. today i got a red tail catfish and he wasted no time taking his area of the tank if any bait fish comes near him he eats it. And only being in the tank for about 20 minutes now his stomach is swollen like he ate a golf ball. i can already tell this is my new favorite fish. Any ideas for a name??? Heres some pics, sorry for the poor quality he doesnt like staying still.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. dude, those redtail cats are expensive and, like you said, will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth. I had one that I was feeding guppies/goldfish, but any time I put a few in the tank, he'd try to eat them all at once to the point he'd puke.

3. pendog66

expensive yes but taking advantage of dumb people at jack's i got a huge discount. not to mention since he has been in the tank pee wee wont leave him alone. If that little green sunfish is smart he will make friends really quickly lol

4. I don't want to play spoiler, but what're you going to do once it eats everything in the tank and you have to start catchin bluegill for it to eat? I only had a 29 gallon, so the catfish I had (a hybrid redtail and a tiger shovelnose) quickly outgrew my tank and I had to sell them back to Jack's. They no longer will give me money or store credit for the fish I temporarily raised for them. If you had your own pond, that would be a nice trophy to put in there.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I used to raise Snakeheads, so I first hand what Nate will have to do:

#1.) Get a bigger tank (which he already knows because he told me this right after bringing the Redtail home.)

#2.) Instead of buying 10 feeder goldies, he'll have to buy 3 dozen feeders!

:)

Some folks @ Jacks loved me becasue I spent so much $ on feeders, others hated me becasue I was killing the feeders..... :eek: :confused: :p

Damn, I miss those fish.

*note to everyone: When having relatives house watch for you make sure they know feeder fish are goldfish and NOT generic minnows from Rainbow Lakes! :mad: I got some freshwater disease in my tank after that stunt by by relatives.

Keep us updated on the Redtail's progress.

6. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

For the name how bout-Reddy..........................................to eat :D

7. pendog66

I would love to get some snakeheads. WE have a 55 gallon and a 75, this summer i will be getting a 180. its huge, when i hold my arms out i cant touch either end when standing infront of it. He did do some damage on the roses already along with the green sunfish ( who by the way since getting him in november has tripled in size) and i just dont feed my catfish feeder fish, i mix in frozen brime shrimp and blood worms i buy the one pound cubes they love them

8. pendog66

and im thinking about naming him "Big Red"

9. H2O Mellon

How about "Fingers".

When folks ask you why he's named that, tell them to stick their fingers in the water and find out!!!! :D

10. Nice addition to the tank. I would love to have one of them red tails but the cheapest I seen one was $75. To much money to throw into my survival of the fittest tank. lol. I made a huge mistake awhile back by thinking I needed an african lungfish. Now at 2 feet long he believes that he needs to be the only resident in my 75 gallon tank. And so far he has won that battle. :mad:

11. Mellon, I used to go to rainbow lakes as a kid and I remember quite a few large goldfish (koi) swimmin around. Little did I know at the time that they were probably flathead food. I went back in college one time and it wasn't doin so hot. Anyone been there this past year?

As for nicknames, how bout Grim Reaper or Shredder? A bad ass little catfish that is gonna shred everything in your tank eventually needs a tough name.

12. H2O Mellon

I havent been there for a few eyars. I used to take my son there just to build a fire and let him have fun. I'm not really into that kind of fishing, but sometimes it's worth going to just let the kid(s) build a fire, roast marshmellows, etc... OGF mbr FLATHUNTER, on the other hand goes there to fish. I'm not sure how he did last year though.

13. pendog66

maybe i should call him bottomless pit

14. pendog66

The average oscar and the one bluegill are about 5 to 6 inches long. Hopefully they continue to grow fast, so it will be awhile before the red tail is big enough to eat them. But i know eventually it will happen, unless the oscars and the green sunfish grow to freakish sizes

15. pendog66, how much does a red tail catfish cost ? i just killed mine about 2-3 months ago., some other fish had ick and I od the red tail . FIL gave us a 75 gallon tank, with him in it! he was @ 6 years old. were did yoiu get your fish at? thanks.

16. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Name it "Mikey" <- He eats everything :)

17. I caught a cat like that in Beavercreek a year ago. Looked like that but the end of the tail was red. It was about 25 lbs. When I caught it a guy from a nearby apartment saw me catch it, he came out and stated that he put it in the pond a few years back because it got to big for his tank. Crazy.

18. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Don't let the cat eat the oscar. When it reaches 12" you eat it. They have firm meaty fillets kind of like swordfish or shark. They are excellent deep fried. Serious.

19. pendog66

i decided to name the Red tail "Bruiser" because when its feeding time he beats up the channel cats to get the food. Bruiser was a name i said i would call any flathead i got and kept but this guy is a monster. I expect him to grow really fast. Heres an example of growth rates

Catfish have a 1-1 growth rate meaning that a one pound catfish only needs to eat its own body weight to start gaining weight.

But a fish with high energy like a bluegill have a 5-1 growth rate they need to eat 5 times their body weight in a year to gain weight.

And the one that i thought was cool was a trout is a 11-1 growth rate