close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ontheattack, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I'm thinking of buying a bass boat. My question is what is everyones opinion on using a bass boat on lake erie. It kinda worries me being in a bass boat on open water in 4-6' waves.
    Coy

2. Regularly bassers from the region go for MANY miles of a run in 2-4's-6's even 8's...only the true experienced will venture in stuff bigger. All in 20' bass boats. Some manufatures' indeed are better hulls for rough performance...like a big Stratos!

It sure isn't like being in a deep-v nor any other big water Erie rig. BUT very do-able. www.dobass.com

You gotta take your time. Read the waves, find a trough, keep the bow up, bilges running, spare bilges ready. Throw lightening in the mix...I personally won't do it- big rough seas though...nada problem.

I watch the nonregional guys come here and think they can go full tilt on top of 2-3's- batteries break open- seats rip off- trolling motors dangle- electronics sink- kidney's bleed. :) Go slow!

Find a speed condusive to the day- zig and zag long treks on best angles- throttle on the climbs and then nothing on top of them. A 5 blade prop works miracles for such efforts- and keeps your nose where it belongs UP. Go smart!

Have flares ready and show partner how to use them. Have your cellie water protected and available. Have a BIG digger type anchor with 300' of rope ready. Keep an extra 1000GPH or more bilge with a long hose and wiring ready if you loose power to boat bilges. A compass is nice if you loose power and can see for the rain. Wear rain gear and life jackets. Let your body roll with the momentum- if you fight them you'll feel it the next day. Wear a helmet or watertight goggles to improve vision. Go safe!

How's that-- all for a green fish!!! :)

nip
    www.dobass.com

3. If you are going to buy a bass boat for lake erie go with the biggest you can aford. 18-22 feet long with 150 or more horse power to power over the waves. Ranger, Champion , and Stratos all make well built, quality boats that are perfect for erie. Before you venture out onto Erie make sure EVERYTHING is in working condition. One small problem on a small lake (like a bilge pump not working) can be a nightmare on Erie. Also don't skimp on the trolling motor. Go with a 24 or 36 volt system with a plenty long enough shaft ( I have a 52" on my trolling motor). This should give you plenty of power for a day of fishing on Erie. When running make sure everything is straped down (rods and reels, trolling motor, ect.). I run a 20' ranger with a 200 hp outboard and have not had any problems on Erie yet. Watch the weather and don't be stupid.

4. If the boat comes with hydraulic steering, ss 4 blade prop, hot foot control, and at least two bilge pumps, these would also be good IDEAS to consider when buying. Get the most HP you can buy, it WILL come in handy!:D

5. I fish the wal-mart bfl as a co-angler . Last year on erie we had 4-6 footers easy .my boater was running a ranger and we had no problems. Make sure you wear rain gear you will get wet. It was a sunny day and my boater ask if i had rain gear and i was thinking it is sunny and warm . lucky for me he had a extra pair of rain pants cause all i had was a rain jacket .

6. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

If you plan on fishing big water like Erie you might want to consider a multi-species rig like a Ranger 619, 620 or 621, Triton also makes a x202 and 215x all these boats are extremely safe and DRY boats to run on Erie, I've had my 621 in 8-10's and stayed high and dry with no worry of saftey and you don't need to worry if your bilge can keep up with the water, the sides are a little higher but it's a safer rig to have on big water throw on a rear deck extention and your good to go for pitching and flippin. The newer boats with motors in the 225-250 range are 55-65 mph boats depending on how they are set up, on inland lakes the guys in bass boats will out run you but in anything over 2 footers you'll smoke them hands down. If you want to take a ride if you want to drive up to Cleveland I'll show you what a multispecies rig is cabable of doing on Erie, you'd be mighty surprised.

7. Thanks for the replys, they will definately help out. I do a lot of inland lake fishing, but don't want to cut short those erie eye trips!

8. Hello guys, I've got a 90hp 1703 Trophy glass deep-v for inland lakes like Caesar's Creek, Dale Hollow, Cumberland, & Erie. Been up from cincinnati twice in 1-2ft waves forecasted. If I see any higher forecasts, I don' make the trip. Am I being way too cautious? They tell me my rig can do much more. I just don't want to get up there & scare myself in front of the wife. You know what I mean? We both like to stay dry; it's more romantic.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

9. hey ontheattack. take k gone up on that ride. his boat flat out moves and it's much smoother then a bass rig by far . it also helps that him and fishon know how to handle it

10. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

They do carry alot of extra weight, that helps!:D ;)

11. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

True :D but the boat has the legendary Ranger ride to it as well. :T

12. Why would you want to spend that much $$ on such a narrowly focused boat? Yes, you can use it on Erie, but the ride will be miserable, you will be wet, late and early in the year, you will be cold. No women and few kids and fewer senior type folks will ever go out with you (on Erie) the second time. If you are going to spend the cash, get a boat like a Lund Tyee or Fisherman with a full windshield and some canvas. Crestliner, Starcraft, G3 and Alumacraft (as well as others) make excellent boats in this class and they are immensely fishable.
    jkruppa
    Jim

13. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

The facts (as I see 'em) don't bear out the bass boat in 6-8 footers talk here. I fish out of Geneva, Ashtabula and Conneaut, and when the waves are above 4-5, the line at the launch is stopped and guys are standing around drinking coffee or beer and talking nasty things about the weather dude. But, they aren't putting in, especially in bass boats. At 5-6 feet the charters have already cancelled. I've put in in 5-6 footers, and I'm one of only a couple clearing the breakwall. Are you guys talking true trough to peak wave heights? I've been out in 2 footers that some guys were calling 5-6s. 4 footers to some are 8+. Whattup? Heard a guy in a bassboat once say, after riding it out in 6s, that he was so scared you couldn't pound a greased toothpick up his ass with a sledge hammer.

Workdog

14. Workdog...we'll go out in some "2'ers" sometime :p

Lake Erie bassers indeed...and regularly, will make 20+ mile drives in 4-6's - often go in stuff much bigger 8 even 10 for longer distances even. I'm one of 'em...if I can catch 'em!!!

Even though we are bass anglers we can still accurately judge wave heights, and even read the reports of current conditions :)

The truly experienced will go out in stuff you NEVER imagined nor would I recommend on a public forum!!!

It's surprisingly easy- and depending on a variety of factors, can even be very dry.

nip

ps...here's a sampling of the water and runs we'll make, I went 38 miles one way on this day...8' rs were small ones, that's what I kept telling my partner from South Carolina anyhow :)
    http://stren.flwoutdoors.com/tourna...d=3&did=25&tid=4041&tyear=2005&tday=1&atype=6

15. One big thing about erie is it depends on which basin you are in western basin has the lovely triple theat waves 1 big and three small to follow. Central basin is nice since they are bigger rolling waves. So that can also figure into your boat choice. Hope that helps some