Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 19' fish/ski this past year in favor of downsizing and for something we can store year round in our garage. I asked on this forum earlier about boats that will fit in a 19.5' x 8.5' garage space. I have narrowed it down to 4 options. This boat will be mainly used on inlands, i will be comfortable perching on Erie 1-2x a year and am comfortable operating any of these on the Ohio/Muskingum in the fall for flathead.

Any current owners of these boats willing to share their experience!?!?

In current pecking order:

1) Crestliner Vision 1600 - Has the right layout and allows for a jump seat option if we ever want to just cruise. Boat is built beefy.

2) Lund Fury XL 1625 - Same as above, but slightly less aluminum gauge thickness, not sure how much of a difference the .08 vs .1 is, but this is an investment I want to last.

3) Ranger VS1670 - Most boat I can get and fit in the garage...This one has potential to jump to #1 if we get in it and fall in love. Much more geared towards fishing, might require a slight modification to accommodate the 10% of the time we have more than 2 people and a dog.

4) Starweld 16' Victory - Best value, there's a dealer in PA that would be a significant hike...I've read way too many reviews about prop torque being an issue on Starwelds, but the value proposition is there.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I would get the physically biggest boat that you have on your list since everyone I know who HAD a 16’ boat has upgraded to something a little bigger.
When I bought my boat I went looking for a 16’ but ended up with a 17.5’ for the reasons I listed. That little extra length added a lot of floor space.
I would sacrifice a little size in order to store in my own garage.
IMO any more that 2 people in a 16’ boat is too many unless they are small children.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
IMO any more that 2 people in a 16’ boat is too many unless they are small children.
You are spot on. I went from a 19' x 8' wide deck boat to my 16' Tracker deep V and it felt really close at first. My tracker is actually 16.5 and that helps, but three people is all I want and two is best. I'm thrilled with the boat though as I rarely have the 3rd person and go alone a lot. After the kids moved away I didn't need the big monster on the inland lakes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What about adding a carport to store your current boat?

if that isn’t an option but the boat that has the layout you like best.

most people with prop torque or listing problems with Starweld’s also have a kicker motor.

Not sure where you are located but you can probably see both the Starweld and the Ranger option at Vic’s Sports Center.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Cheezemm21 I did similar thing and you won't regret storing the boat inside versus storing covered outside. I ended up with a 16.5 Alumacraft. My only regret is not upgrading to double wide garage door and going with a bigger boat for Erie. Love the Alumacraft just bigger would have opened up more Erie days fishing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. We're pretty much locked into the garage option as we want the freedom to be able to trailer whenever we want and keep the boat inside. We had our last boat for 12 years and it was religiously covered/stored and winterized. Still though, we could see some deterioration in things like trailer tires, cover and paint fade etc. I'd love a carport, but the admiral says no dice!

90% of the time it will just be me and the wife. We will be fishing bow/stern and have the dog in the cockpit. If not doing that, she'll be reading in the bow while I'm trolling harnesses/flicker shad.

Alumacraft Supersports are also on the list...they're just dang expensive. I used to live in Akron, so maybe I'll pop up to Vic's after a phone call!

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
I checked out your options. I’m kind of in the same boat. What I don’t like about Lund and Crestliner is they are owned by same company that owns Mercury. I tried to order a new Lund but with no motor. I want a Yamaha outboard. The sales guy turned into a real d bag and started feeding me lines that Mercury is the best, the lowest warranty returns, etc.....I walked. Looking at G3 boats now which are owned by Yamaha. I want a 16’ aluminum deep V that will fit my garage doors. I have 2 single 8’ doors but garage is 35’ deep. Trailer width is what has me limited.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know what you mean with wanting to keep it in a garage.... my garage limited me to an 18’ boat - more because of height than anything else..... why someone would install a 7’ garage door on a garage is beyond me.... I left the center window open this year and have a broken windshield because the boat will not fit in the door with the center window open....

Now after fishing Erie a lot the past few years we will probably upgrade boats and another pole barn or carport to store it in.... but have to wait for economy and job security to be better first.

This time though will move to a more Erie only style boat..... have a place at Pymatuning but rarely ever take the boat out on it..... son complains that it is boring to go there.....

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out your options. I’m kind of in the same boat. What I don’t like about Lund and Crestliner is they are owned by same company that owns Mercury. I tried to order a new Lund but with no motor. I want a Yamaha outboard. The sales guy turned into a real d bag and started feeding me lines that Mercury is the best, the lowest warranty returns, etc.....I walked. Looking at G3 boats now which are owned by Yamaha. I want a 16’ aluminum deep V that will fit my garage doors. I have 2 single 8’ doors but garage is 35’ deep. Trailer width is what has me limited.
There's a dealer 6 hours East into PA that sells Starwelds with Yamahas. I am seriously considering making the trip. I will call up to Vic's first to see if he can match the deal though!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought mine at Vic’s but really considered going to Towne. Vic’s was a lot closer, and was a little better equipped..... but sometimes price sells. For me Towne probably would have been easier.... in state purchase vs out of state....they could have titled everything for me.

Not sure if Mercury is a turn off for you or not but if you decide you want a Lund but not a Mercury look at Haines Marine in Andover OH. They pretty much put Honda outboards on everything. They sell Lund, and Smokercraft products. I don’t think they have a Mercury hanging on any of their new boats.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I have my Ranger under a carport.. Have never regretted the decision to get a car port..

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
For me, 17 is as small as I could take. My first two boats were Trackers and very good to me. I noticed they weren’t on your list.
I considered an out of state dealer and ended up with one 2 1/2 hours away. This dealer does have a good reputation and has been around a long time. Several haggling trips and any issues with the rigging, maintenance was really a PITA. Boat did not show up as ordered... then there were rigging issues.
I would not go with a long range dealer unless you have COMPLETE faith in them. Even at that there will be something unforeseen. Maybe sacrifice a little bit of cash up front to save time/ money, down the line and a bit of peace of mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts