close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New boat owner

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Villain, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Well, I recently bought an aluminium 14 ft Sea Nymph with a Trolling Motor, my first, and not doing my due diligence, took it out on Buckeye Lake where the battery for the motor died, and I found myself rowing back in. I quickly decided that I need a motor for my new toy. I need to know what is the max hp I would want to put on the back of my "mini" boat. It is aluminium, about 14 feet long and 4 feet wide at it's center. Anyone have suggestions?

2. LFN

LFN

The boat has to have a plate attached giving vital info: max weight and horsepower, etc
    Lou

3. That plate should be down under the shift control or in that area....

4. I had a 14ft aluminum boat and had a 9.9hp motor on the back of it. It was nice because it was just light enough you could take it on and off if it ever needed to be serviced, or in the winter.

5. i have one and it has a 9.9 on it think it is rated for 25 but the 9.9 is just right take it anywhere and they dont drink much gas and you can find them for sale in alot of places priced reasonably.

6. I wouldn definately stick with a 9.9. It has plenty of power for a boat that size plus you can take it anywhere because of the HP.

7. yep. 9.9 is great, i got one this year, ive had a 6hp on my 14 ft jon for the past two years and it ran fine as long as you dont need to go fast, but i could get to the north end of hoover from sunbury in 15-20 minutes still. but i only put gas in the tank one time last year towards the end of the year. great on gas, i ran all over hoover alum and oshay all summer.

8. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

One of my boats is a 14ft. V-bottom and it has a 15-horsepower max limit on it. But I wouldn't recommend that much. I've got a 4hp. mercury and it pushes it around just fine.

Good luck.

9. i have a 16' aluminium boat with a 5.5 - it works fine but I could see a 9.9 on it ;) sounds like you are looking for dependable rather than speed so you have plenty of options.

You could also just buy a second battery - I have two depending on how big the water is determines the need for me

10. Hey all, thanks for the great info, now does anyone out there a 4 through 9.9hp their looking to part with? I priced a 9.9 new and I can't see spending that kind of moneyon such a small boat. Again, I appreciate all of the reply's.

With my trolling motor... I know what your thinking, another dumb question, but I am new to the boating experience and I am too proud to ask dumb questions in a store in front of other shoppers... I have one battery and now I know that I ned to buy a charger for it, but how long should that battery hold the charge, and do I need to charge it after each use? I wish I could just buy an alternator for it...

Thanks for the help.

11. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

As I'm sure you noticed a new 4-stroke is pretty pricey - especially the 9.9's. That said, finding a used one, in good shape and also at a considerable discount over new will be a challenge, especially now that we are in the boating season. What is your budget?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/651977214.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/620340496.html

As for your trolling motor battery recharging slowly and keeping your battery well maintained are the best ways to extend the life of your battery. Deep cycle batteries aren't cheap to replace.

From Interstate Batteries....

- Recharge a deep cycle battery as soon as possible after each use to prevent sulfation.

- In warmer climates and during the summer, watering is required more often. Check the electrolyte levels and add distilled water, if required. Never add electrolyte to a battery that is not fully charged'just add distilled water and do not overfill. The plates must be covered at all times.

- High ambient temperatures (above 80%deg; F [26.7° C]) will shorten battery life because it increases positive grid corrosion and growth.

- Shallower the average depth-of-discharge (DoD), increases the battery life. For example, a battery with an average of 50% DoD will last twice as long or more as an 80% DoD; a 20% DoD battery will last five times longer than a 50% DoD. For example, golf cart batteries will average 225 cycles at 80% DoD and increase to 750 cycles at 50% DoD. Try to avoid DoD that is less than 10% or greater than 80%. Industrial traction and stationary deep cycle batteries are designed for 80% DoD and most marine an RV deep cycle batteries are designed for 50% DoD.

12. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

If you do buy a gas motor, make sure you find out if your boat needs a short shaft or long shaft.

http://www.brokeboats.com/shaftlength.html

After reading about the shaft length click the site map tab at the bottom of the page. Its a great site with lots of boat/motor info.

13. Most people who fish electric only lakes, or solely with an electric motor keep 2 deep cycle batteries on their boat. Charge them after each use.

I would think you could look forward to a good 3-4 hours runtime for a 40lb thrust motor and 1 12v battery (just a guess, based on when we used to fish LaDue a lot).