close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Believer

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by wader, Jun 23, 2008.

1. wader

wader Fishing Fool

Have never been much of a carp fisherman, other than the occasional fish on nightcrawlers or one that happened to take whatever bait I was using. After hitting a local park that is a former gravel pit and seeing the monsters that swim right along the banks I decided to give it a try. The last few days I went out and threw out oatmeal/vanilla extract doughballs. Got a few runs and missed a few fish. Yesterday I got a strong run and was able to hook and land a bigun. No camera or scale available, but I would estimate it was every bit of 30" long and probably around 15lbs. With gas prices so high, it is nice to make a 5 minute drive and be on some large, hard fighting fish...

2. Garyoutlaw77

Garyoutlaw77 Rough Fish Ambassador

Welcome to the Carp side...

3. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Are you talking about Snyder Park. I have fished there once and I only managed one skinny teen sized fish. I have heard a lot of stories about fish over 30 pounds in there but I have also heard that a lot of the carp have been fished out of there.

Congratulations and let us know about your next carping experience. Looking forward to it.

4. wader

wader Fishing Fool

No, it was Old Reid Park out by CJ. I see people fishing Snyder all the time, but have never fished in the ponds. I will occasionally hit Buck Creek as it runs thru there, and used to shoot large carp out of it with a bow. I hate the wanton waste of the fish though, so I guess I have started using the hook and line now. For the record, I have never seen anyone catch anything out of those ponds in Snyder Park.

5. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Snyder gets packed Friday evening. While I was there I was the only one to catch anything.

Any idea how big the carp get in Reid?

I appreciate your thoughts on carp hunting as well.