close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Bass Pro Outdoor World is Official

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by crappiebub, Mar 18, 2005.

1. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Coming to Washington Pa. http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2005/03/07/daily18.html

Washington County lands Bass Pro

Bass Pro Shops has made it official.

Today, Springfield, Mo.-based fishing superstore announced its plans to bring a new 200,000- to 250,000-square-foot Outdoor World retail location to a 210-acre plot in Washington County across I-79 from the Meadows Racetrack.

While Bass Pro made its intentions to open a store clear, it also cautioned that the development of a new store faces a few hurdles.

"Development in the Washington County region can be complex. The mining industry has presented certain challenges, and rezoning and infrastructure costs are paramount to our ability to move forward with this development," said Michael Dunham, Bass Pro Shops director of real estate.

Bass Pro bills itself as a major tourist attraction, boasting to be among the largest tourist draws in the 14 states in which it operates. The company claims to draw 75 million people to its 26 stores. According to the Bass Prop Shops announcement, the Washington County location might include an indoor boat showroom, indoor/outdoor shooting and archery ranges, an ATV test track, a lodge-style hotel and other amenities.

The tourist potential of Bass Pro often enables the retailer to reap substantial public subsidy for developing its new stores. Last night, developers for the proposed Victory Centre entertainment and retail complex, met last night with supervisors of South Strabane, the municipality in which the development is proposed. Bass Pro plans to be included as part of the development, a project of locally based Praxis Resources and suburban Philadelphia-based The Goldenberg Group.

Victory Centre would include a Tanger Outlet Mall along with restaurants, a hotel and perhaps a waterpark to complement the slots gambling soon to come to the Meadows racetrack across I-79.

The development is vying for Tax Increment Financing, a form of public subsidy in which the future real estate tax values of a development are used to help finance its construction costs.

Also, local legislators and Goldenberg principal Jay Beste told the Business Times last summer that Gov. Ed Rendell was offering a state subsidy package of $25 million to help lure Bass Pro to Washington County. Bass Pro's official announcement comes on the heels of another outdoor retail giant, Cabela's, opening across the state line in Wheeling, W. Va. With that store now open, a slew of new big-box retailers announced just last week it plans to establish new locations nearby.

2. I thought it was possible that BPS would jump into that market when Cabela's opened. Those stores would be less than 50 miles from one another. I still think that Cabelas will do better, just because it is more a hunting store than a fishing store. I think that area is less of a fishing region than a hunting one. Just my opinion.

Seems funny that I grew up less than an hour from both those stores and I didn't have anything like that available to me. Now, I may be moving to Cincinnati anyhow, and I'll have BPS right around the corner.

Eric

3. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

there is also a large gander mountain just east on I-70 from cabelas. with BPS building there, you can spend all day shopping for fishing stuff.

4. Gander mt. is alredy lowering its prices with cabelas right down the road and now a BPS?!! what next!
    All these fishing and hunting stores in one area is dumb. There is lots of land to hunt but not to many places to fish around there, if you ask me.

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I agree for the most part, but they are also banking on the fishermen and hunters from this side of Ohio and Pennsylvania. I know I will make some trips to this BPS opposed to the 4 hour drive to Cinci!

6. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I still think that putting one in Legacy Village in Beachwood, OH is the way to go! :)

7. I grew up in Steubenville and know a lot of people in the OV fish, but growing up there I just always got the impression that it was more of a hunting region (and a pretty darn good one at that) than a fishing region. I can remember the only choices in tackle were Kmart and Poole's Bait Shop out on Fernwood Rd. in Wintersville. Now, there's three major retailers within an hour drive of Steubenville. Maybe it will renew interest (along with the Bassmasters Classic in the 'burgh this year) in fishing that region of the country. Does anybody know the name of a lake on the road between Wellsburg and Washington PA? You can see it down in the valley along that State Rt. 27 out of Wellsburg. I know the road changes numbers when you hit the PA line. It would be north of 27 on your way east towards Washington PA.

Eric

8. I Think It Will Benifit The Entire Area. It Will Draw Alot More People With Cabela's And B.p.s. This Will Draw People From All Over The Country.the More People The More Money That Is Spent To Help The Economy Of The Area. Baby Bass :) :) :) P.s. They Will Only Be 25 Miles Apart.