Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok so first things first....your life isn't worth going cheap on, sooooo with that being said. Save the money to spend on a good pair of bibs, and jacket with floatation in it. It's gonna cost some coin, but if you fish and take it seriously then you know eventually everything takes coin. So a good set of bibs and a jacket, that not only keep you warm and safe and if it's taken care of will last for years and years is gonna run you about $500 possibly more if you want a better set. Next is a good spud bar and a set of ice picks and an auger. A lot of things can be made and modified to fit your needs. As far as everything else goes you can make a rod out of the top section of a 2 piece 6' rod and an old reel. I like a one man flip over shanty, but I know for a fact that an ameristep dog house blind some rope and four 4 1/2" I bolts with a screwdriver keep it in place. A sled is nice, but not necessary a 5 gallon bucket is a necessity. And I liked the comment about finding a buddy that will show you the ropes and can give you a first hand look at what works and what doesn't. I have been fooled plenty by the lure that catches the fisherman and not the fish. You will find a lot of good info on here, but watch as many you tube vids as you can, if you are into that.
Artic armor float suit is 269.00 check their web site plus a free pair of gloves

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
what kind is it I'm interested in what they have and why comparison shopping so I know what to look for if and when I buy LOL
My stuff is super simple. I have a few of the schooley ice poles (they come with line, reel, spring bobber and even a jig) they look like a kids toy but for shallow panfish they work great. I bought a couple of ice rods that I put my softwater ultralight reels on. I also have a few tip ups to put out if I choose to. They are the round polar brand. I put it all in a bucket that I made with PVC rod holders. A little box of jigs and slip bobbers, I have a 5" lazer auger, used pop up shapell shack that I use to pull gear out on. I frequently just carry my stuff along. I use my summer hole digging spud bar for ideas well. Just move it from my garage to truck. Haha.
I would love to get a vexilar but haven't come across one when I had extra cash around.
I dont have a suit, I just dress in lots of layers, have only ever gotten wet up to my knees (knock on wood!) Good luck, just saying you can start ice fishing and not spend tons. Ordinary guys can start too!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
My stuff is super simple. I have a few of the schooley ice poles (they come with line, reel, spring bobber and even a jig) they look like a kids toy but for shallow panfish they work great. I bought a couple of ice rods that I put my softwater ultralight reels on. I also have a few tip ups to put out if I choose to. They are the round polar brand. I put it all in a bucket that I made with PVC rod holders. A little box of jigs and slip bobbers, I have a 5" lazer auger, used pop up shapell shack that I use to pull gear out on. I frequently just carry my stuff along. I use my summer hole digging spud bar for ideas well. Just move it from my garage to truck. Haha.
I would love to get a vexilar but haven't come across one when I had extra cash around.
I dont have a suit, I just dress in lots of layers, have only ever gotten wet up to my knees (knock on wood!) Good luck, just saying you can start ice fishing and not spend tons. Ordinary guys can start too!
cool awesome what kind of line do you use on your reels

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
what kind is it I'm interested in what they have and why comparison shopping so I know what to look for if and when I buy LOL
For electronics, start with a Garmin Striker 4. It sells for ~$100 on sale a lot of places, has GPS And a “‘flasher” feature that works well and will get you by on the ice. I have a Vex but frequently use the Striker, have a case with a 12 vt 7 amp battery. They have an ice transducer available for extra cost but you cannfloat the one that comes with it with a piece of pool noodle attached. I really like it, so much so I I will be using it this year on my kayak. Again, you might find one on clist, ebay, Dick’s, online, etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Try Fireline crystal ice 10lb with 8lb Fluor leader. With without micro swivel. Doors not seem to freeze and sinks well.
I still like my mono...I will always use floro as it's just a confidence thing with me, and I use a double uni instead of a swivel, I get too excited sometimes and I will reel that swivel right up...hahahaha Thanks for the tip, I do like to keep a rod on hand with some just in case.

·
cheeryo
1,028 Posts
I still like my mono...I will always use floro as it's just a confidence thing with me, and I use a double uni instead of a swivel, I get too excited sometimes and I will reel that swivel right up...hahahaha Thanks for the tip, I do like to keep a rod on hand with some just in case.
I started using the uniknot as well flouro to braid, I'll leave a swivel on 1 rod though for the jigging raps and vibes,

·
Registered
343 Posts
I prefer a hub style mostly because I dont set up unless im on fish. If going that route remember a 2 man is actually a 1 man. 4 is 3 ect. For solo I take my quickfish 2i and keep almost everything inside with me. My buddy heater keeps it toasty inside. Then I use a small light bar that velcro to the hub poles to keep it lite before sunup. With 2 to 3 ppl I use my fatfish 949.

For storing gear i bought the $50 eagle claw hard case. Keeps 6 rods safe and can hold my aquavu mini, 4 lure boxes, gloves, pliers, scissors ect inside.
Thanks for the heads up on the eagle claw rod box. Just got mine in the mail. Been wanting one for years but the price has always kept me from picking one up. Got out on the ice last Sunday and the tip of my spring bobber pole broke in transit. I was irritated to say the least. Remembered this post and ordered one from SCHEELS. Definitely worth the price.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts