Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep best bet is go on a few trips with someone that knows the game. We all have enough rods to accommodate an extra person and some of us even have extra electronics to let u get a feel for it. Ill warn ya its addicting! You say oh I have everything I need..... oh wait look at that I want it! No I want 5!!!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Upland, not sure your age but if you have “shot” arms, hands or “shoulders”(like me), definitely invest in some kind of powered auger.(If you have any issues mentioned, I guarantee drilling holes “manually“ will be a major effort! Be sure you are “physically able“ to ice fish overall, it can be very exerting)! I have a ‘Clam plate‘ kit I use for panfishing with a 6” auger and quality drill attached(use, or get, the best drill you can afford! and at least two batteries). There are pre-assembled, brand name, units available, self contained units(battery powered) available that can drill any sized hole, ready to drill out of the box. For larger fish, I have a gasoline powered 8” auger I’ve used on Erie to drill thru up to 2 ft. of ice(and landed some big walleye). Not previously mentioned(for help landing bigger fish!) is a ‘cheap’ requirement is a good ice “gaff”. You could easily make one out of a salt-water sized treble hook screwed to a piece of broom handle. I made one out of a piece of stainless welding rod sharpened on the end, bent into a U shape and epoxied into a hole drilled in the end of the broomstick!
Additionally, you mentioned possibly waiting til next year, don’t wait! The ice is forming now and this(should be) a great ice year! Next year(and subsequent years), there may not be fishable ice-and noone is getting any younger! And by the way, Mark’s B&T near Streetsboro has “everything” you could possibly need. Good, helpful guy too. OR, check OGF & FB Marketplaces, Craigslist, etc. Guys are always upgrading, moving South!, or simply getting out of ice fishing. You could conceivably get a “package deal” of most, or all the required equipment you’ll need!
I appreciate the info and your right about issues I have more then sports illustrated What I'm thinking I want a 3 or 4 man set up power auger rod and reels recommendations on some of this is helpful because because of income it will take me a while to get and while I would like the best it maybe be best for me to get something midrange to see how I fair rather then something too cheap or too expensive

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a homemade one so don’t know much about various brands and types. Many others will have better insight. Size will depend on whether you will be solo or having others in with you. Don’t skimp on size though. Most likely you will be increasing your quantity of equipment for a while and run out of room before you know it. If you will want to be able to move around to locate fish, a flip-over probably would be better than a hub style but limits how many can fit inside. Also need to consider insulated vs. non-insulated. Suggest you make a trip to Mark’s Bait & Tackle in Ravenna. He usually has several kinds set up and most likely will have one of the best prices available. He also has a wealth of
I appreciate the info and your right about issues I have more then sports illustrated What I'm thinking I want a 3 or 4 man set up power auger rod and reels recommendations on some of this is helpful because because of income it will take me a while to get and while I would like the best it maybe be best for me to get something midrange to see how I fair rather then something too cheap or too expensive
If your going for panfish, cannot beat ACC rods. I've got 2 32" and love them. I can feel the lightest bites without the need of a spring bobber or any extra "doodads". I have no doubt they would handle some medium sized eyes as well.

Reactions: Upland

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If your going for panfish, cannot beat ACC rods. I've got 2 32" and love them. I can feel the lightest bites without the need of a spring bobber or any extra "doodads". I have no doubt they would handle some medium sized eyes as well.
awesome Thank you

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,769 Posts
Grab and ugly stick dock runner from Walmart. It's like $16 with a rod, reel and line. The rod is a great all around rod for anything really. The reel is garbage but will be ok till you decide to put something else on it.

·
Tom B.
3,936 Posts
There is no cheap entry into this.
Try going with someone experienced willing to let you join them.
It's a lot to learn really.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
And make sure you understand the ice. Pressure cracks, old holes, weak spots the mine field we trek across each time we go out. How to use a spud bar is very important. Knowing how to read it when ur testing is more important than how to catch fish!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I started out with some simple"cheap" stuff. Still using it! Haha. I'm a bucket guy, have a used pop up shanty but hardly ever set it up. I like being outdoors and visiting with friends while on the ice.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
There is no cheap entry into this.
Try going with someone experienced willing to let you join them.
It's a lot to learn really.

not looking for cheap I look at it this way I could buy the cheapest shed sled and poles and float suit etc etc and not enjoy the experience due to poor equipment or I could spend money on the best equipment and not need too I have heard people spend money on the "best" and find out that a model $100's dollar's cheaper was better I could just go buy the middle road stuff and say ok but I'm looking for suggestions on what "you use and why comparison on stuff you buy and hate or loved

·
Tom B.
3,936 Posts
Didn't mean that to sound the way it did.
Just be prepared for what your in for.
It is a lot of dedicated gear. A lot!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
And make sure you understand the ice. Pressure cracks, old holes, weak spots the mine field we trek across each time we go out. How to use a spud bar is very important. Knowing how to read it when ur testing is more important than how to catch fish!
agreed I'm not going to venture out without some one that has time on the ice I'm looking for people to say I bought this and it was ............. and why....... so if and when I buy gear I will have some idea of what to look for

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Didn't mean that to sound the way it did.
Just be prepared for what your in for.
It is a lot of dedicated gear. A lot!

LOL I didn't take it that way :ROFLMAO: I just wanted to make sure every one knew where I was going with this I'm not good at writing what I mean in my head it sounds good LMAO

Reactions: tomb

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Reactions: tomb

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I started out with some simple"cheap" stuff. Still using it! Haha. I'm a bucket guy, have a used pop up shanty but hardly ever set it up. I like being outdoors and visiting with friends while on the ice.
what kind is it I'm interested in what they have and why comparison shopping so I know what to look for if and when I buy LOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
Fishusa always has a sale around Christmas on float suits. Buy jacket get bibs free if nothing comes up sooner. If you have an inflatable life preserver that would work until you can find a good bargain.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Fishusa always has a sale around Christmas on float suits. Buy jacket get bibs free if nothing comes up sooner. If you have an inflatable life preserver that would work until you can find a good bargain.
awesome

·
Registered
756 Posts
Just a warning, if you buy a marcum flasher it'll defiantly catch you some fish, but get ready for a lot of pissin and moaning if your fishing around the vexilar crowd. They interfere with each other big time. My buddy has a marcum and im constantly yelling at him lol. Just buy a Vex lol.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts