Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 3 nightsbthis weekend I fished hard for cats. Used everything from night callers to Shad to minnows. Fished Berlin for 2 nights and tried about 5 good spots and got nothing, not even a bight. I thought they might be spawning so we went to Atwood last night and the same thing happened. I'm pretty new to catfishing so I need some advice from someone. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It seems those 5 good spots weren't so good if you caught nothing, Berlin usually gives me a bunch of catfish, as does Westbranch. Berlin even during the daytime I catch cats. Must have just been a bad time or your spot of choice isn't very good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Was at Leesville yesterday and today. Last night the fish shut off around 8. I mean completely shut down! Dink bluegills weren't even biting at all. Put a light at the end of the dock, couldn't bring more than 3 minnows after 30 minutes. Had chicken livers out on bottom without a single bite. Don't worry you didn't do anything wrong, the conditions just shut the bite off all weekend. Trolled from Petersburg to the dam, did some casting, and drifting. Nothing!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've been fishing for catfish all my life, this still happens to me pretty often. Sometimes they just aren't biting, lol. There is a lot of helpful information here on the boards that can help you up your chances, but even then sometimes they just aren't there.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Agreed that its highly possible that they just weren't biting! Catfish, IMO, are one of the the easier species to catch, if there is such a thing lol.

Fish the evening into night, fish on or near the bottom, use anything from nightcrawlers, minnows, cut bait, livers, shrimp, hot dogs, etc. and sit and be patient. A lot if times they will hit/bite once then come back and take it.

And remember a bad day fishing beats almost anything else you could be doing, and also you can't catch them at home. Keep at it and good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that in Berlin or Atwood? Thank you all for the advice. You are right a day fishing is better than anything. I grew up on a farm just primarily hunting all my life, this is the first time I've really got Into fishing so any and all advice is appreciated !!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Try chicken liver with anise(found in the spice aisle).. walmart sells these little 96cent travel spray bottles for body spray..hook ur liver spritz with anise and good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.