Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to post this as a new thread, cause it has me thinking....

Freyednot indicated that you do not need a long antenna to receive radio traffic, just to send radio traffic.

Now I dont want to doubt yourt knowledge Van, but I want to be sure that this is accurate, cause I am considering buying a smaller antenna if this is true, and dont want to blow the money on it if it is not.

I have a 16 foot boat that I have put a 8 foot antenna on, cause I was told I needed that length to reach over the horizon. If I can receive weather forecasts and warnings reliably with a four footer, I am going to switch to it, as the 8footer is really in the way.

Maybe this is better in the boats forum, but the Erie guys should know for sure...so post up guys,I would love to go with a smaller antenna....Plus I might have an 8 foot antenna for sale cheap if I cant cut it off....

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'd suggest going out on the big lake and check it out yourself before hacking. I got one clear coast guard weather forecast channel yesterday out of Vermillion maybe 2 miles the most. Radio check on 79 was successful and heard constant chatter from the regulars and charters (distance up to 5 miles I'd guess). While the physics of the Hawaii article would most likely hold true here, do you know the coast guard station tower heights or distance between stations? Measure twice, cut once (maybe).

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
oops...Forgot to mention that I boast a 3'er! Uniden Solaris 1/25 watt vhf

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it worked well at 8 feet, and it is cut now to 5 feet. And it is soooo much more manageable. I would rather buy a new one at 3 or four feet than put up with the 8 footer. Glad yours is working out. I dont plan to ever go out that far. My boat is mostly for lay-out hunting Sandusky bay..

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yea 8'er on my crowded 16' boat was too much for me plus Cableas had a deal on the 3'er that folds down flat nicely on my gunwale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts