close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 2 muskie fishing need info!!!!

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by striperswiper, Jan 13, 2009.

1. striperswiper

striperswiper Catfisherman for life;)

I'm new to muskie fishing and was wondering what kind of baits to use,what lb line wld be the best,what kind of baits things like that thanx for any info.!.

2. Check out the Ohio Muskie Show. I think it's the last weekend of Feb. at the Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe in Columbus. Last year was my first trying for muskie(still haven't caught one).I went to last years show, met a lot of nice people, learned a lot and picked up a few baits.

3. Stiper-
    It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to check out some of the other shows listed on the forum also. Then you don't have to wait so long for a fix!! PLUS-the Butler show and the one just west of Akron will be very educational!!!!!! They will have local/regional experts that are experienced on the waters that you will be fishing.
    Casting is a lot of fun, but I've had to adapt alot to the way it works here in Ohio-TROLLING. Once you get the hang of it, it can be just as fun as casting plus you get to have 2 rods in the water per angler! These smaller/region specific shows have the "best of the best" speeking at them. Also, the BEST trolling lure manufacturers will be at the BUTLER show where you can talk to them face to face!
    These shows will give you a great start. Post questions or feel free to PM anytime. There are some really great muskie fisherman on this website so you're in good hands. -Gabe

4. Will you be trolling, casting, or both?

5. striperswiper

We will mainly be trolling but might do a few casts lol

6. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Super Shad Raps, Grandmas, Tuff Shads, Lil' Ernies, and Monster Shads (with some modifications of course) are some of mine and 1roofs favorites. You can also try some smaller bass baits, as they seem to be just as productive on some days. A J13 rapala with beefed up hooks and splitrings are also great baits.

7. I've not done much trolling but the baits that Jim mentioned are great.

The link that BluePike posted is a must read.

If you have very little equipment check out the Pete Maina combo from Basspro. You can't go wrong for the price. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_45034_100003001_100000000_100003000_100-3-1

Line: I use 80lb Power Pro (who was just purchased by Shimano). It works well for casting and trolling. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._44283_100017003_100000000_100017000_100-17-3

To help cut down on cost. Fill your spool about 1/3 - 1/2 up with mono and then spool til full with the braid. Will also prevent the braid from slipping.

Leaders: Stealth leaders are great. http://www.stealthtackle.net/fishing_leaders.shtml

Read all you can. OGF, The Next Bite, Musky Hunter, The Ohio DNR are all full of great information. You may also want to check some of the Muskies Inc. chapter websites for Ohio.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

8. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Forgot to mention, there's nothing worse than catching a great fish like a musky and not being prepared to get it off the hooks! Check this cheap started release kit (4th item down on the page).

http://www.muskyhuntercatalog.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Fishing_Items_5.html

Granted, this is only a started kit, and a pair of good hookcutters, like Knipex, will run you $50. This kit isn't bad for a started and you'll at least be prepared.

9. i have never done any torling but if you are going to cast some then buck tails make great surch baits i have also used spoons as a surch bait just depends on how much junk is in the water i am fishing the super shad raps are excilent baits i use 30lb test berkly big game or cajun red its more of personal preferice Good luck!!

10. As far as line goes for trolling it's hard to beat the superlines. Power pro 50# has done great for me and I hate to admit how long I have had the same line on my reels but the last batch was bought from a store that has been out of business for several years ago. Now for the lures, keep in mind this comes from a guy that makes lures... Your best best bet is to get comfortable with a couple lures that are known to work on the lake you fish and get used to how much line it takes to get a lure to hit a certain depth trolling, great thing to do on those bluebird days. Find a sandy bottom and gradually let line out until the lure ticks bottom and log the line out/lure depth in your notes so you can repeat that depth later when needed. You'll soon find that a magic depth is way more important than a magic lure (can't believe I am saying this!!! ,LOL). I mainly fish Alum Creek and I can definately say that there are times on that lake if your trolling presentation is off a foot you ain't catching fish. Same holds true for several Ohio lakes. Good luck!

Cliff
    www.alleycatlures.com

11. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

:B Cliff is right on the money with the lures and lure depth very good advice.
    Fishing line is a personal choice. For trolling I like 30# Berkley XT Mono for casting 60# Power Pro.

12. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

No doubt, trolling is all about depth and speed. We will always change speed before changing lures when fishing is slow.

13. striperswiper

Thanx for all the advice im sure it will help i am planing a trip tp West Branch Round late March early April so i will have time to get some equipment any suggestions for WB ive already been suggested to troll round the dam any more wld be appriciated.;)

14. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

SW,

I don't fish WB, but I would guess that time of year isn't the best time of year to troll for muskies. It isn't on Alum or CF. If I were going to fish muskies that time of year I would cast rattletraps and or husky jerks in the shallows(10' or less). From what I have heard WB muskie trolling bite heats up about end of May and peaks about mid July. Then, picks up again end of Sept and early Oct. Some others who fish it regularly may know better than me though.

My favorite summer time trolling cranks are Bagleys Monster Shads, Little Ernies and Grandmas. Any deep diver that is 6-8" should work. I like to keep em in the 10-14 depth range. Good luck!

15. striperswiper

well we were mainly goining to get to know the lake find some spots and see what bass fishing was like we r planning the big trip round mid june or early july

16. What Cliff and Rick said is great advise. Control your depth and learn some spots and be precise. All the baits mentioned will work. Critter is right about the timing but you never know. Some great big fish have been caught in the Spring.

17. striperswiper

does anyone here no any good spots on West Branch ??

18. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

Reading back I see you will be there in late March early April the west end around the bridge area is always a good place to start the water is still very cold fish the open water look for bait fish and get your lures down in to them

19. Musky2Much, your baits are beautiful, sir. Great website too.