close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 19 Lb State Record Walleye

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GMR_Guy, Jan 7, 2005.

1. rockbass

rockbass Banned

That's awesome! Even better that he got to let it go too! :)

2. Is the picture below the article the 19 lb fish? I'm no expert, but that doesn't look even close to that weight. Maybe 10-11 lbs. What does everyone else think?

3. Maybe its just a bad picture, its got the length but is has no girth. It doesn't look bigger than the 31 inch 13 pound 2 oz Walleye hanging on my wall but who am I to judge.......nice fish none the less

4. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I'll bet cha a saltine cracker that fish ain't no 18 lbs. I hooked up with a 30"er a fewe weeks ago and it was only 11.33 and it was fatter than what that fish looked like in the picture.

I also netted one for a friend not long after I got mine and his was substancially larger, but still didn't top 13 lbs...Shortdrift was there.

I say Hoax

5. That is one heckuva fish, but add me to the list of those who don't think that fish looks close to almost 19 lbs. But the fish was looked at by a biologist, so maybe the weight is correct. Perhaps the fish is real thick and the picture doesn't show it. Anyway, the guy should be applauded for releasing it.

6. catking

catking Banned

It is a record guys. It has been verified by the State of West Virginia, and that's a fact . Sometimes pictures do a fish no justice, but to me that fish looks every bit of 18 pounds . But the fact is , the State will not say it's a record until it is verified, in this case it was........ CATKING

7. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

holy shnikes! that is a hawg.....the largest wally i ever caught in lake erie was 30" and 13#.......Nice catch though, man....

8. I agree that the fish doesn't look any bigger than 10-12#, but I didn't see the fish live, maybe its just a bad picture.

9. :) Maybe the guy in the picture is 6'6" , 400 lbs. That's why the fish looks so small! Sounds fishy to me. Later.

10. If you look closely between the guys hands,you'll notice the fish is bent in towards the guy.It's kind of an optical illusion,if he was holding it correctly,the girth would look more meaty.I believe the catch is totally legit.

11. my god, when is our lake erie going to give us one of those?

12. i think they weighed his hands with it!!!!!!!!!

13. That is certainly a heckuva fish. And as Catking mentioned it does say it was certified by the WVDNR. I agree it does not look close to especially after reading that it was just shy of 31"/. I know one thing though. If the weight is right, then I would hire a new photographer.:D The girth on a fish that length would have to be huge to reach that weight and it just does not show.

14. I agree with you Brian-that photo doesn't do that fish any justice, if indeed that fish is actually 19 lb. At 31"/19+lb that walleye should look like it has a volleyball in it's stomach! :eek:

Tim

15. Tim,

Here a pic of the ones we brought back last fall.
    [​IMG]

If you remember we weighed the two big ones right around 10# each. These were only a little over 27" so they are 3" shorter. But adding 9# is almost doubling these fish.:eek:

16. I think this one looks bigger

[​IMG]

17. She is a fat one but how long is she?

18. Or compare our new state record saugeye.
    [​IMG]

There is only about a quarter of an inch difference but the walleye is 4# heavier. Evidently that girl hides her weight well.;):D

19. The top one went 12lb10oz 31 1/4