close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Never ice fished but....

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by starcraft, Oct 11, 2005.

1. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

Iam thinking of trying some this winter but dont know anything about it Just thinking of what are the basic things i should consider getting like equipment,rods reels baits. How to be safe? What lakes are best to fish? What do i need to get started?

Any tips will be helpfull totally new to the ice. :D

2. Where you located Star?

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Get ready to be taken!! If your anything like I was you'll love it. Welcome to the group.

4. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

north east columbus, hi

5. Run to local Army & Navy and get Mickey Mouse boots . If your feet are not warm your first trip will be your shortest. These boots cost the least and keep your tootsies warm just like the 300.00 dollar ones. Expect to pay about 39 -59 dollars for a pair of these.

read these boards real close and it will give you a feel for what you are going to need.

try to hook up with some ice fishing vets first couple times out until you gain some confidence.

also as fair warning " The surgeon general has determined that ice fishing is extemely addictive "Symptoms may or may not include :

1. Dancing in back yard for ice to come on local lake
    2. Frenzied fever to buy something associatted with ice fishing as early as July
    3. Looking forward to "Alberta Clippers "
    4. Drooling over a Vexilar ad the way you used to drool over Playboys centerfold
    5. Looking forward to below zero tempatures regardless of cost of natural gas or any other heating fuel
    Regulars in this particular forum, you will notice, are half a bubble off level. Of course that would include yours trully. That being said welcome to the fraternity if you decide to take the plunge. If not congradulations on remaining sane :p :D

6. DaleM

Just wait until he sees an Aqua View! :D

7. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

lol papaperch, classic! :D

1. safety
    2. comfort
    3. making a hole in the ice
    4. fishing

thats the basics, the details are enough to keep someone occupied forever.

sometimes step 2 gets neglected but like papaperch said the more comfy you are the longer you will fish. catching seems to warm you up though! :)

be a follower in your first season or two. only walk where you see others walking. dont wander off on your own. dont take shortcuts across the ice unless you see someone else walk there.

you need 3"-4" of good, solid, clear ice to fish. white ice is bad, black/clear ice is good.

ice can change from day to day. one day its fine, the next day its bad.

be careful of shoreline areas, they are the most unpredictable.

dont go alone at first. tell someone where youll be. stick with the pack if theres one out there.

if no one is on the ice or there is but you cant figure out how they got there, dont go out. wait and follow the next guy.

you dont need to buy any special fishing gear. at first when i was young i used my ultra light rods.

you just need some way of making a hole in the ice such as an axe to open up old holes or an auger.

well thats all i can come up with for now. just be a "follower" at first.

good ice fishing baits are small jigs tipped with minnow or waxworms or maggots. you can catch just about anything on jigs. it depends on what youre targeting.

good luck, i hope the ice bug bites ya. ;)

8. 1. check the ice it takes a while for it to form safe Ice.
    2. keep warm. you can never be to warm while ice fishing. Look for stuff that is good to at least 10 below your not movin to much and the wind will get to you.
    3. get the basic stuff. a light rod and a few tip ups to start. if ya can get a flasher they are great and I whould never ice fish with out one again.
    4 have fun
    good luck

9. peon

peon account delete

when i started ice'n i took the top half of a two piece rod and taped the reel to it with electrical tape real good.. worked fine!!! go buy spring bobbers.. they attach or tape on the very end of your rod and work the best i think... they are very sensitive for very lite bites.... come on down to mcarthur i live about 2 hours for the bottom of columbus .. id be glad to take ya out some time...

10. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

man threads like this really get me going. :) flashers, spring bobbers, cameras....ahhh the toys of winter!

i bet if you gave a newbie a vex to try his first time out hed be hooked for life.

speaking of which now there is a Pro-Pack I and a Pro Pack II. the original propack one is marked down to make way for the second one.

anyone see any ice anywhere?????????????????????????? :p

a good location for a first timer is a somewhat shallow, clear weedy bay to chase gills. bites a plenty on a lot of days and youll really get a feel for whether ice fishing appeals to you or not.

11. DaleM

Hummmm??? somewhere like Presque Isle maybe :D

12. Ice fishing can be a blast and everyone gave great advice.

Especially safety tips of being cautious. Be extra cautious. Go with people learn from others. Most are very friendly and willing to help. Start simple ice rod 10-20 bucks a few small(tiny) jigs. A tip up or two is a fun diversion 5-15 bucks.

Maybe organize a trip to meet up with some local ice fishermen for the first trip through the site.

I know I am hooked for life due too the help of some great anglers from ctfishermen.com a website for fishing in CT. Check it from time to time in the winter to see some great fish caught by a bunch of great guys.

Also Mickey Mouse boots are a good buy. I have not gotten any yet, but this thread reminded me. Best cheapest boot for ice fishing ever and keeping your feet warm is key.

Enjoy the insanity

13. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

wow sounds like i have lots to learn lol

14. Starcraft I started ice fishing 3 years ago when i was 58 years old. I have been fishing all my life and thats the truth. I have never been turned on to anything so fast as i was Ice fishing. I went a couple times but never with anyone who was experienced so i didn!t like it. Then i met some guys who were willing to teach me and thats all it took. Tag along with the guys who will take you and i guarantee you they will have the right equipment and will steer you in the right direction. Sometimes i think i like ice fishing better than warm weather fishing. I would rather fish with my vexilar than my boat

15. Starcraft RUN!!! Don't look into the light. This is cult behavior.

16. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

17. peon

peon account delete

it sits over an hole and when a bite happens it sends and orange colored flag in the air you run over and stop the line from free spooling and wammm set the hook and reel in a fish.. you can have 6 tip ups and 2 poles in ohio at once.

[​IMG]

18. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

wow those look really cool. Where u get them how much? Also where is a good army store at in central ohio?

19. peon

peon account delete

you can get tipups at alot of fishing stores,,, and online.. mine are home made.. probally at a gandermountin for about 15-30 bucks each... actualy might get a cheap one for 8 bucks or so....

20. rule #1 buy a vexlar #2 get a erie hard water charter-70 bucks/day#3see rule1&2