close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Never Fished Atwood, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AndroDoug, Jul 23, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I have the opportunity to go out on my buddy's 25 hp BassTracker Sunday, and I suggested Atwood since it has a 25 hp limit. Neither of us have fished it before and want to try a new lake.

First off, we are going for bass. Is it a good bass lake? Or should we try something else or go somewhere else?

I can look on a map, but I do not know right now where it is. Are there directions I should know to a particular ramp?

Finally, since it is Sunday, will the lake (or ramps) be too busy? Should I just stay nearby and fish Springfield or Portage?

Thanks in advance fellas!

2. Busy Sunday lake. Good for bass sometimes,but hardley ever on the weekend. Heavy sailboat and jet ski traffic with pontoons for days. Doesn't mean you catch any though.

3. Atwood is a fairly decent bass lake. I don't catch bass in great numbers there but the ones I do catch are usually around 15 inches or greater. Yellow and white seem to be the best colors to use on Atwood for bass, in my personal opinion. Well happy fishin, post a report after you go, I would like to see Atwood on this forum more often.

Rob T.

4. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Well, we hit Atwood today. Can't say we did too well, but I bet that it had something to do with the cold front that came through. I bet almost every lake was tough today. We did manage about 10 bass or so, with 3 or 4 being keeper size, maybe 15" or so like you said. All were released. We decided to try something different and do some trolling with some hotntots and actually got 2 small to medium sized sauger/saugeye? I have never caught one before and we were unsure what it was. Looked kinda like a walleye. Released them too.

We caught the bass in coves by pads on wacky worms, and the saugs were caught by some humps where the main lake heads N (going east from the dam) on the western shore.

Pretty lake...glad I went. I'll try it again during a weekday and when the weather is more condusive to action.

I also trolled an old Muskie lure that was my Grandpas, it was about a foot long. I either hooked something BIG or snagged something. The line broke quick. That is the last time I try that with 12lb test and 2500 size spinning reel! OOps!! I hope it wasn't worth anything!

5. Hot N' Tots are a great choice for that lake. I troll with Hot N Tots whenever I get the chance to and usually come up with some bass or saugeye. Believe it or not I have actually caught some catfish like that too. Thanks for the post.

Rob T.