Netting on the Scioto at Klondike?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FOSR, Jul 27, 2008.

1. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Yesterday we took a nice canoe ride from Bellepoint up to around Klondike (or, three riffles up) and when we reached our stopping point we had a picnic lunch. We watched two people about 100 yards upriver, it looked like they had buckets and a net about four feet square. They would cast the net in the river and draw it in. I should have taken pictures, I realized later.

I don't know much about fishing but I do know nobody catches anything with nets, so I thought maybe they were ODNR or someone taking some aquatic survey. They left after a while, and we left downriver, and did not go far before coming up to a family fishing on the bank, and a game warden who called us over to the shore.

I've never spoken to a LEO while in a boat before, nor ever been called to the shore. He checked the boat's registration (recently renewed, if you look at my Whetstone thread you can see it was expired then) and he confirmed that we had life vests.

His first question was "Is this your white truck?" which it wasn't and that seemed to be all he was after. So I asked about the netting and he something like "Well I didn't get them this time" but he didn't seem to want to answer my question.

So, what would people be poaching with nets? Bait fish? Or just anything they can catch?

I've never seen so many people along that stretch of river, there was someone every 100 yards or so along Klondike. But dang that is a beautiful stream to paddle.

2. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

So they were siening or throwing a cast net? Either way its not illegal as long as they keep the correct type of fish (forage) and throw back the wrong kind (bass, eyes, panfish, anything else pretty much), and are using the proper sized equipment. Catching baitfish is fairly common.

My only other concern is that they were using a gill net, which would really bring interest to the game warden.

3. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

Probably netting shad, totally legal. I think ive seen them before.

4. I was up through there today along River Road. There was a white small suv/truck(can't remember) and the ODNR guy was there talking to someone....

Wonder what's going on the the DNR guy is so interested?

5. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

This was our stopping point/picnic spot. I just made this into my
    computer desktop image here at work, if I can't actually be there I can at least daydream about it.

[​IMG]

6. Alex,
    If you're into paddling, have you discovered some of the other Ohio gems?
    There's some quality stuff not too far out of Central Ohio.
    I know of a few out of the way spots........

[​IMG]

7. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

Speaking of Klondike Road, anyone fish it?

8. it is legal to castnet and seine if you are within the legal net sizes. they were probably gathering bait. there are also some crazy guys that do that as a hobby to see how many species of darters and minnows they can collect in a year:D . if it is the dnr they will most likely be using a backpack shocker and a seine. they only time i would worry about guys netting would be if they are keeping big fish out of the nets, wich may be sportfish.

9. That'd be the NANFA guys. Here's a link to one of their tanks. very cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  10. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Just don't go puttin the wrong little fishy in your tank! ;)

CG

11. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

I used to hunt this swamp area and let me tell you when you are walking to your tree stand at dark thirty and one of those beavers smacks it's tail on the water, it will scare the poop out of you. Happend way too many times to me :)

12. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

So, that picture was taken right off Klondike? Is there pulloffs there for wading?

13. Yes, there's pulloffs and bridges etc....plenty of places to park.

14. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

But they're not evenly distributed. There are a few places along Klondike where there are several pulloffs within a mile or less, but then there are many miles where it's all private property, homes with yards.

But, one thing - we did see an SUV with an empty boat trailer backed into the water, on a gravel track under a set of power lines. Does anyone know if, where power line right-of-way crosses a stream, you can have stream access in the right-of-way? That's assuming there's some kind of access road from the public road.

15. woot for native fishes! (nanfa member)