close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Negitive experiences of gun season

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by traphunter, Dec 8, 2004.

1. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I had a long message typed up but I deleted it because it wasnt nessesary.

All I basically have to say is that gun season sure seems to bring out some true idiots, and its those few idiots that can ruin a good hunt for everyone else. I was trying to help my buddy get his first deer this year but thanks to a few people that didnt happen. :mad: Its the same thing every year! :eek:

I sure am glad I got both of my deer before gun season came in.

2. I'll keep it short also -

I had fewer bad experiences this year, but still encountered some problems. I enjoy the gun season less and less each year. I'm sure eventually that I'll give it up :(

This is simply my opinion based on personal experiences during the last 16 seasons.

3. do you guys think it would help if gun week was extended to maybe two weeks? I was talking with a buddy and we thik that it would cut down on the number of idiots in the woods at one time.

just a thought, currious to hear others opinions

4. I think a 2 week season would be a good thing. at least at the price you pay for a tag, a guy or gal could get in a couple of sat/sun and a couple of days off, maybe generate some more interest?? the same with muzzleloader season,why doesnt the state move the areas around the state instead of the same 3 places year after year??? :confused: state says they had a record kill this year so you probaly wont hear any changes for 2005?--125,000 or so I think I read in paper?that figures out to 1 in 4 with 400,000 tags sold?

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Years ago the State did have a two week season. I thought it was really a good thing. Why they never continued it, I do not know. Maybe we'll ask the ODNR and try to get an answer. I haven't had any problems in several years but I do hunt in a deselent area and private property too. Just be careful, hunt with people you know and think before you shoot. Never give it up guys, peta and other groups are waiting for that to happen.

6. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Thats the thing we were on private land we had permission for, bad thing was is that there were about 5 other people there that did not have permission! :mad:

About having gun season for 2 weeks, I can see where you guys are coming from, but around where I live at and hunt, I think that a 2 week season would result in way to many deer being killed. The deer population is low as it is right now. But I can see how it might cut down on the number of hunters being out there at one time.

Hopefully as I stated earlier, I will tag out before gun season again next year as I did this year, so I can advoid the orange invasion. Besides, I would trade 1 day bowhunting during the heat of the rut, for 1 week of gun season. :cool:

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Trap, if you only had one week to bowhunt, which week would you chose?

8. I've only been hunting for eight years now and it amazes me how busy places like Gander Mountain, Dicks, K-Marts, etc. are with people buying their deer tags or even their hunting licence the day before the shotgun opener. There have been three years that I've seen people buying a shotgun and slugs the day before the opener, with one of them asking the clerk if they really needed to sight it in! Scary.

9. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Flathunter, I would probably pick the second week in November to try to hunt the pre rut.. The rut is really a hit or miss thing, you just got to be out there and observe the deer, and let them tell you when to hunt. During one day I hunted during the pre rut this year, I saw more bucks in 3 hours that I had the whole entire month before. :cool:

ps.Flathunter, do you plan on doing anymore fishing this year or are you done untill spring?

10. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Trap, I may go up to paint spillway a time or two during christmas, I have 8 days off..And try to catch a saugeye..Other than that I am done till spring.

11. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I heard that they never continued the two week season, because there wasn't much interest in the second week and not many deer were killed in the second week. At least not as many as they had hoped, it still seemed that the woods were packed on the first week

12. I don't see the point of them cancelling it because of few deer being killed. I think it would thin out the amount of hunters in the one week period and as a result less accidents among with better hunting

13. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

I gave up on gun season on public land 3 years ago, as I literally feared of the idiots in the woods. I enjoy gun hunting, but will onlly go on pvt property these days. Stupidity=Danger.

Speaking of hunts, I got hooked up with our DOW Officer, and am getting set up on a private property damage hunt. Sounds like a great route. Am hoping to go on my hunt mid-January, and the hunts are not regulated. Only by the # of deer that can be taken. Can use any caliber of pistol, slugs, or rifles, and hunt day or night. Sounded too good to be true, but it is just that. Hopefully things pan out and I will get to get out on a hunt in January.
    Rob

14. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Thank god my sister and brother-in-law have 80 acres in Coshocton. I haven't hunted public land since they got married back in 1995.

15. They discontinued the two week season because the deer kill actually went down. Gun season is needed to reduce the deer herd, and that's just the way it is. Hunting in gun season means a change in strategy, and those who don't are often disappointed and frustrated. I'm afraid it's not going to change.

16. There were just not enough people hunting that second week to justify having all the personal manning state check in posts, wardens, etc, etc...even the private check in posts complained about it. Plus it will take 2 weeks out of small game hunting for those who do not pursue deer...I'd like to see the late primative season be run over three 3 day weekends.

17. ncraft150 - you are a lucky man :D

M.Magis - you are exactly right, the gun week is simply to reduce the herd and generate $.

In the areas I hunt I see many more deer during the gun week due to the pressure. It is a shame that most of what I see is hunting them like rabbits at best, rampant use of ATV's and Trucks, lead flying at tails everywhere :mad:

I don't know why the state even bothers to act like they care. You can run them down with your truc, so long as they get the $24 tag fee everything's kosher.

On Saturday this year I watched a group in my area push some cover. 1 - ATV & 2 walkers. They just walked each side of the cover (no strategy) and jumped a basket racked 8 pointer. There was at least 8-10 shots fired between 3 guys (hard to tell). I could see that the buck was already wounded and only able to run at half speed. He jumped 1 fence and almost fell, but was able to escape the morons. I watched him bed down in a fencerow.

I went and got my buddy and his brother-in-law. The brother-in-law had never taken a buck and I knew this one had to be put down. We positioned him and drove it to him perfectly. He was thrilled.

Upon inspection it had taken a slug early in the week in the left shoulder. The angled showed the shot was taken with the deer running away from the shooter slightly right. It went in right at the joint and came out the front completly blowing it out. I don't know how this dude was traveling the way he was.

The season will never change, but I wish there were a better way. I think the state does a really poor job of educating sportmen. I know the responsiblity should be at the individual level, but we all know this never works.

I know the coyotes in the state love this time of year :D

18. Pharley,

If you do get to go on one of these property damage hunts, PLEASE do not make a bad impression on everyone with it the way I have seen it done around here. I know of more than one place where the same type of hunts take place and it is basically just jumbo groundhog season. These guys plug away on deer of either sex and pile them up on the side of the fields to rot. For the life of me I will never understand the logic of it. I just don't see why they don't offer more hunting tags in the area if they are that much of a problem. Leaving the meat to waste is just a disgrace. I would love to see some sort of program that would use them to feed the hungry or something.:mad:

19. I am lucky enough to have a total of 400 acres of private land to hunt in Pike and Clermont counties for gun season.

I spent the majority of the week on 300 acres in Pike County and actually heard automatic weapon fire more than twice. Plenty of times we heard multiple shots (8+) that may have been a handgun but sounded more like an autoloader shotgun. Lots of rifle fire too.

Some of the best hunting spots on the property are within 100 yards of the property line but we do not hunt within 300 yards of the lines during gun season.

20. AEFISHING

AEFISHING Crappie Freak

I think Ohio should be like Kentucky and extend the muzzeloader season to a couple of weeks. Much safer than shotgun season.