close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Negative Shanty Purchases

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by icebucketjohn, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Wondering if you ever purchased an ice shanty and disappointed afterwards?

Your reasons for negativity.... overall quality, stitching, durability, weight, easy of transportation, set-up/take-down, size, features, etc?

If you had it to do over again, which brand and/or model would you have bought?

2. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

Icebucket, I've been selling shanties the past 5 years and have gone through at least 300 in that time.I've set up and taken down every kind made the last 5 years.I would stay away from the Frabill pop-up styles(Venture & Cub) with the shock cords, the flipovers are fine.The pop-ups have too many poles and I have a hard time setting them up.The Eskimo shanty (same as Otter)beats all others hands down. They have steel poles compared to aluminum most use.Once you bend an aluminum pole they are shot.The canvas is heavier on Eskimos and they have more room tham most others on the market for the same cost or even less $.Also, don't buy a shanty with a plastic tarp like some Shappells or Vikings have.Once your done fishing on a cold day all the moisture will freeze immediately and you'll have a hard time closing the tarp back up inside the shell, stay with a clothlike material.I also don't like the older Frabills(3 years old or older) due to the lightweight canvas, it's as thin as parachute material and will rip easy or will burn holes when the lantern is not even touching the material.The newer models are fine.Clam has a nice product except the design on the flipovers needs to be redone.The first pole that is attached to the skirt needs to be bent at a 90* angle.Not having this, there is too much air coming in where the pole is attached to the side bracket, you lose too much heat insideOther good shanties on the market are Clam 2000 and 5600 models, newer Frabill flipovers and the larger XL-Twin pop-ups, Shappell DX model Pop-up( the DX models have the clothlike canvas but are $75.00-$100.00 more depending the the shanty size,All Eskimo shanties.Just my 2 cents on what I've learned since handling and repairing shanties........Mark

P.S. one way not to be disappointed in purchasing an ice shanty is to know the difference between them. Different stores carry different models.Take a ride. Set them up, take them down,look them over good, sit in them with the length rod you like to use.You'll be able to tell where problems might occure down the road if purchased or if it will suit your needs.

3. It would depend on a couple of things. Will you be travel long distances, pulling by hand or using snowmobile or quad. Will you be fishing alone or with others. How often do you fish.

I have a one man that I use around the smaller inland lakes when fishing alone pulling by hand. For Erie or when fishing with others I use a fishtrap voyager. It is a 2-3 man and lots of room for 2 guys and for three guys, well maybe if my seven yr old son was one it might work. I really like the trap style but for heavy use the sleds are a little on the light side, they will require runners or some other way to pull them if being used behind a machine.

The best I have used and been around is the otter shantys. If I were to buy a new one for erie it would no doubt be an otter pro lodge. They have the heaviest duty sleds on the market. They have the best tow bar system. They have great heavy canvas. But they are heavy as heck and I would not want to try and pull one by hand.

The most effient for all shantys is probably a one man flip over. there are many many makes opf good one and all have positives and negs. The only draw back is you are fishing alone and when fish all day it is nice to have the ability to fish share the good times.

Scott

4. My preference has been toward the "Flip-Type" Styles. The Clam Scout is too small, while the Claim Pro is ok, but the sled is slightly smaller than the Clam Guide. The Claim Guide is nice & roomy for a flip style, but I'm conserned about its overall weight.

Would love to see Eskimo's & Otters for comparision.

All of my ice fishing is done on inland lakes near the Akron Area. I'd be pulling the shanty 100% of the time. I like to keep moving, so a fast set up and take-down are paramount. I'd be doing a mixture of solo & duo ice fishiing, so having a 2nd seat or an area for a 2nd person would be advantageous also.

Now my challenge is to find the brands and compare them.

5. bassmaster is right stay away from the pop-up frabills they are junk. i have a dx300 by shappell nice shanty. the only thing i don't like about the flip over style shanties is that the are noisy in the wind.

6. Sounds like bassmastermjb knows shanties very well... and Otters & Eskimo's are superior to Frabills and Clam Brands.

Thanks for your insight, comments, opinions & suggestions, They sincerely are helpful.

Would love to get the time to check them out. Will let you know.

7. yea mark know his sh#$T!!! rex and i got ours from hime a few years ago...his shop was packed FULL!!! only met him that one time but a great guy!!!

8. i have both styles the pop up style weighs 40 lbs pulls terrible. the fishtrap 2 weighs 60 lbs. pulls nice much better when you are moving place to place still small enough to handle. roomy enough for two light enough to load by myself on back of quad. learned the hard way on lake erie. we pulled the ropes out of our pop ups in slush at erie had a mess. now everything is rigged to set up on front of quad in milk crates with shanties on back rack may keep that in mind when you are buying. good luck ps 9 am sat morning no ice on buckeye lake buddy just called not even in the channel at fairfield beach