Need wader help ?

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Tom G, Dec 10, 2007.

1. looking to buy new waders. Was thinking of the sock waders but dont know anything about them. Also don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a pair. Any help would help me out thanks in advance

2. Depends on how much you fish, when you fish, and your size. If an odd size (tall, short, husky) you might want to look to the more expensive brands that have odd sizes. If a standard small/medium/large, you can probably find a decent pair within the more common brands.

If you want to use them in mostly cold weather, bootfoot are probably the way to go. Make sure that the boot has some room for your foot to more around when wearing insulated bootie and/or socks to keep warmer.

If you don't do a lot of walking, neoprene will keep you warmer. The more 'mm's provide a warmer wader. If you are active in your waders or use them in warmer weather, you will bake in neoprene since the aren't breathable.

Breatheable stockingfoot waders are the most versatile for all seasons, but won't keep you as warm in the winter. Plus, you will have two costs - one for the wader, another for the boot.

I personally use a breatheable stockingfoot chest wader most of the time, a waist-high breatheable stockingfoot for quick trips or those where I know I won't be wading deep (easier to pee), and neoprene boot-foot chest waders for the real cold weather.

The neoprenes work good for ice fishing as well. Helped out quite a bit when breaking thru the ice up to my chest. The waist-highs are often used when fishing the Erie lakeshore in the fall and spring.

I like to use a smartwool sock in any of the waders when in cold water. Therefore, I carry the thickest ones with me when trying on new waders.

3. i was in yr position couple months ago. here's what i learned. you are gonna spend at least $100 , unless you go my route. the basics---neoprene is very warm, but tougher to get in and out of, and more expensive. Breathable is prob best bet cause you can layer under to stay warm, and not sweat yr balls off in spring summer. you can either get boot foot that are built in, or stocking foot, then have to buy boots separately. Felt soled boots are necessary according to most people. i fish the rock and have only wore felt, so not sure of the diff other than the common opinion. Now, my route, i could not find felt sole boot foot breathable chest or waist waders at any stores. i spent $24 (may have gone up) on rubber hip waders with felt soles at dicks. you are limited with how far in you can go, but i think you'd be fine. most of the time when the river is high, you stay home anyway. Maybe the other rivers require chest, but rock ok for hip (unless you fall of course) Dicks says 90 day return policy no matter what, ive been tempted to get neoprenes and return em in the spring, but i have not had any probs with my hip waders. hope this helps.

4. Felt are ok as long as you don't have to walk in snow. The slow cakes up on the wet felt and freezes to many inches thick. Even with minimal snow on the ground Sunday, I had to stop a few times and scrape the ice buildup off of the felt soles.

5. I've spent a lot of money on layering underneath my breathables and I am actually warmer with them than the neoprenes in the dead of winter. I always felt "damp" after wearing my neoprenes, even in the winter. As for comfort, it's almost like I have nothing on at all when wearing breathables.

6. Oh yeah they are bad on the way to water. I slipped pretty hard in mud couple weeks ago. I imagine snow would be bad. I recommend the slip reducer X they sell for traction.

7. if you get felt boots,just spray pam on the felt the night before. you get some snow sometimes. it works great

8. I want to thank you guys for your help. Will go to sports store and look at both kind.But i dont think ill get the felt bottom ones. Thanks again and good fishing.

9. fishinbula

fishinbula Its going under

TomG, also try cabelas they have a pretty good selection and like archman said breathables are nice and if you know how to layer you will be warmer and more comfortable. I bought my first pair of breathables this year and I am more comfortable and only probably I have had so far was keeping my feet warm but thats just getting the right kind of socks.

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

11. Again thanks for your help guys.

Ruminator read your piece thanks

12. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

You bet Tom. I've been looking for some breathables myself after reading the good discussions here. :B

13. I just recently sent back a pair of breathables I bought from Sierra Trading. Had them for 9 months and they took them back. I opted to get the refund and look for other brands. I almost kept a pair I found at gander, they were marked down from 150 to 99. Gander waders had thicker material and re enforced material in the knees, didn't like the suspenders. But I ended up purchasing a pair of Wright Mcgills. They had everything I was looking for in breathables. Little heavier and thicker material, good warrenty, came with wading belt with a built in back support for those long days wading.

I looked at other brands Simms, Cloudviel had opportunities to purchase them at a decent price but stuck with the Wright Mcgill. Found them in PA at Follys End Fly shop for $125, checked most websites and could not come close to that price.

If your going to fish alot with your breathables then spend the money for a decent pair. The thicker material will hold up better with bending down, kneeling, walking thru brush, and the warrenty important down the road for repairs and such.