need to get boat of trailer(in my garage ) any ideas

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by BIKENUT06, Apr 30, 2008.

1. BIKENUT06

BIKENUT06 tinn man

i would like to wax the bottom of my boat but can't get under there with the trailer . has anyone ever done this before. any ideas would be appreciated

2. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

If the boat isn't too big, I have strapped the transom eyes to the back wall and pulled the trailer out from under, blocking as I go. I stack it on 4x4's (on the keel) with a wedge on each side to keep from leaning. Works surpisingly well. When done, I simply winch the trailer back under the boat. With larger boats, this may not be an option.

3. Depending on weight of boat, you could run straps under it from garage trusses. Run the straps, use a jack to lift boat to height you want, then just pull trailer out from underneath. You'd have to be careful with strap placement so the slope of the bow doesn't allow strap to slip off front end destroying your boat. Maybe even tie straps together so they can't spread apart. That's how boat yards deal with boats of all sizes. You may have to double the joists & add upright jacks to bear the additional weight.

4. BIKENUT06

BIKENUT06 tinn man

opps i forgot to mention it is a 21 ftr the manual states it to be around 3500 lbs probably 4000 lbs with fuel/gear

5. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Yeah, that may pose a problem. If you try, please be careful!!!

6. For my Son

For my Son Fish to enjoy time with my boy.

I think you would be better off leaving it on the trailer and jacking up the entire thing to get under it. I had to do some fiberglass repair and thats how I did it. I thought about strapping it to the trusses but decided that the moment weight would exceed the limits without some serious bracing. I know the spots where the trailer is in contact with the boat will still be an issue but it would just be alot safer. IMO

7. use a floor jack (two if you have them for the back) with some padding and just raise the front half while on the trailer...wax it...let it down and do the same to the back half.

This will let you get the parts of the boat that are in contact with the bunk boards...I would NOT do this on an e-z loader trailer...don't trust those rollers.

8. You can do what madcrappie says without the jack. Use your trailer jack and it will also give you more room to crawl around under it. Drop the jack as far as it will go. This will raise the rear. Now, put blocks or jackstands on the corners of the boat. Raise the tongue jack just enough that the boat clears the bunks on the rear. Reverse the process to do the front. This way, the trailer is never away from the boat. Be careful! Like he said, don't trust rollers, don't trust anything, if it's not secure, don't get under it! I almost lost mine once. I did the work, but it about fell off the jacks when I tried to put the trailer back underneath it.... lesson learned.

9. BIKENUT06

BIKENUT06 tinn man

well she 's off of the trailer, it was a little nerve racking. thanks guys for the advice