close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need tips on skinning a Gar!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dinkbuster1, Jun 18, 2007.

1. H20 Melon caught his first gar last night (42 incher) and we decided to skin him and cook him over the campfire and give it a try, heard they were very good. well, after whipping out my "survivor man" skills we sat down to sample some of it (thank god for fast food salt packets!). it was great! meat was white, flaky, and very delicious. i will never again just toss these things in the weeds, they will go home with me! however, i tried a trick that i think i read on here once where you get the meat loose from the skin a bit and just pull the meat out......nope, wasnt that easy. ended up getting it skinned about halfway and just cut out that part of the body. anyone have an easier way? FLathunter should have some pics to post of us grubbin on it....HEY JACK!

2. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Should move this to the regular lodge or the fishing section. You would probably get more results.

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I never knew gar were good eating. I'll have to try them next time I catch one. Can you fillet one or are they too boney?
    Another fish I want to try is bowfin.

4. I saw a heard a recipe thats supposed to be really good.Cut the meat in chunks,drop them in boiling water for 30 seconds or so ,chill and serve like shrimp cocktail.

5. tomb

tomb Tom B.

We spent a few summers fishing for them below Devola dam on the Muskigum river. Lots of fun. To clean a few we started by chopping the head off with a small camp ax. This link shows the rest. http://www.illinoisbowfishers.com/gar.html I believe we also just pulled the backstraps off by hand. Pay attention to that note about soaking the fillets. This site also has good info. http://www.garfishing.com/

6. thanks a lot tomb! that video made it look easy!

7. Been there, done that. I can tell you it was not really to my liking. It is a very red meat much like salmon. If it sits for any time it will get pretty mushy. We ate one in Canada. We don't catch many but they all go back in the water anymore.

I have never had gar so I can't comment on that one at all.

8. Gar are good - just lots of bones; a lot like pike. I never had to do the "dirty" work on either, but have eaten both. My wife's relatives used to have a cabin in Michigan and my uncle was really good at cleaning pike. It was always white, flaky & very tasty!

9. Back years ago we visited our relatives in Mississippi and set out tramel nets trying to catch some buffalo. We hauled out some big alligator gar and gave to some of the neighbors. They just took an axe and a block of wood and cut into about two inch steaks. Then they took a knife and went around the outside to get the skin off. After the skin was cut off they had steaks ready for the grill. I had to leave before the steaks were ready but they sure looked good. Hope this helps.

10. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I never thought that gars would be an edible fish. I have heard rumors of people eating them but took it more or less like an urban legend type thing.

11. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Try this sight and watch the video on how to fillet a boneless pike...I would think the gar is similar.

www.edsbaitshop.com

12. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

i have heard the taste has been compared to Walleye, if ya clean and cook em right.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Here is the "before" pic. I'll see if Flathunter can post the "after" pic! :D

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thats a nice one H2O Mellon, have you caught any larger than that? That's about the size of the largest we ever caught. Most were a little smaller than that.

15. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Nice fish Brian, Ironicly I was just talking with a lady from Arkansas that was telling me that they would eat them all the time down there and they were really good eating fish........That is a nice size fish. congrats. S

16. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Gar is as good to eat as ANY other fish out there and the fillets have no bones in them. For longnose gar I clean them by cutting a slice up the middle of the back with a pair of tin snips...Then use a fillet knife and cut a slit between the scales...One at the head from the top down to the belly, and another slit between the scales even with the dorsal fin from the top down to the belly. Then fillet the skin off the meat till you can fold the skin out. Once thats done then fillet the meat off the fish leaving the skin attached to the carcass...Trim off the red meat from the fillet and rinse the meat but don't soak it in water cause the meat will get mushy. Cut it into chunks and bread and fry it like any other fish. Its good stuff and you can clean a 4 ft gar in less than 5 minutes no problem.

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

on a large live blue gill (hand size). FYI: It had two other blue gills in its belly.

18. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

not trying to scare anyone. but read this.
    Eating Quality - Although edible, they are unpopular as food. The roe is highly toxic to humans, animals and birds.
    this is for Gar and came from that site. i have read people have ate them (Gar) before. Roe are Gar eggs.

http://myfwc.com/Fishing/Fishes/gar.html#spotted

also says it here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gar

there were more sites the backed the others stating that the Roe is Toxic.

But seeing how it is the eggs dont think you have anything to worrie about.