close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some Pod advise

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by ShoreBoundOne, Apr 21, 2004.

1. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

2. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

mitch, sorry dude,but that pod is junk,seriously :)
    i could just imagine the quality of that :rolleyes:

Dont forget now, i still have a very nice,very popular,
    pod of quality for sale ;) with buzz bars and front and back
    rests.for only $75 you cant even get just the pod for under
    $80,let alone with the extras :cool:

3. ShoreBoundOne

Thanks for the advise....is your pod a single or a double? i am really looking for at least a double.
    I am just getting into this and dont want to break the bank. What should i look for in a decent functional pod?

Mitch

4. PAYARA

iam not sure what you mean by single or double.
    do you mean how many rods it holds?if so,it will
    hold 3 rods with the buzz bars i have thrown in.
    if you remember back to the event last week end,
    the pod is the same one that Shawn and quite a few
    others were useing.

5. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

By single or double, do you mean how many rods it can hold. Most Buzz bars can hold three or four rods, I am pretty sure Payaras can hold three. If you want it to hold 4 you can get a buzz bar that can hold four and replace the buzz bars that are with it.

I agree that one on Ebay is pretty much crap, as are most of the decent ones on Ebay, there are good ones but you will pay a fortune on one. You may also want to go to the CAG messageboard and put a request for a used one on the tackle Trading post, a lot of guys will sell you a used one if they think you need one. Some of the complete kits from Wacker Baits are hard to beat as well, they come with alarms and everything. Another site worth checking out is AllCarpFishing.com , they don't have prices listed yet but a quick email should get you a price.

Payaras is nice too, but you will need to buy Alarms for it, you also may have to buy back rests as well I don't remember if his include's that are not. Your call hope you find a good one.

By the way I will be shooting you an email tonight with all of the contact info (address and phone # ) for Richie for the food grinder.

6. ShoreBoundOne

Yep thats what i meant ...i told you i dont know crap about these lol...Sounds good....i'll have to check with the missus....but i should be able to swing that...i was actually gonna talk with you about it on Sunday....just showed up to late. I'll shoot you a PM tonight after the wiife gets home...just let me know how you want to handle the deal.

Later,
    Mitch

7. PAYARA

yes,i do have front and back rests included. :)

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Mitch,

Payara has the Frontier Pod. That would be a good beginner pod. Will hold 2 rods without any problems. As for alarms, Paul Pezalla at Wacker Baits in Chicago has some cheap ones he just got in. They are like $24.99 WB&T Bite Alarm These will get you started fairly cheaply.

If you wanted to purchase new stuff, Paul does have the Classic Pod Kit for $154.90 which includes:

Classic Pod, 2 x Micron M Alarms, 2 x Butt Rests, 2 x Micro Swingers, Fixed/Goalpost Buzz Bars

Item number RP3391

That is what most carpers getting into the game start out with. One thing to keep in mind is the size of your rods. Finding butt rests that will take the larger butt ends of the rods can be a challenge sometimes. I belive the butt rests that are in this particular kit would be big enough to cope with the rods you were using last weekend.

You can find all of this stuff and more at http://www.wackerbaits.com And you can browse the boards at http://www.carpanglersgroup.com and do a search for questions that you have from past posts. There is a LOT of carping information there that might help you out.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  9. PAYARA

not to sound like an a##(which i am :cool: )but the
    fox classic pod is junk.its non extendable,fixed at 31in,
    non extendable legs,only the uprites extend a bit(6 in or so).and not to mention whne you take one rod off the
    pod it will flip sometimes because the body twists.
    sorry all but IMO this pod is junk :D

oh yeah heard this pod is no longer in production :cool:

10. catking

catking Banned

JEEZE US !!!!!!! Looks like another angler is "hooked" on the carp thing. You will be sorry Mitch........Keep it simple ;) CATKING (cwcarper has a nice pod........MINE :rolleyes: )

11. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Mitch....buy the Frontier pod off Greg, slap a set of the WB&T Bite Alarms(you'll have a total of $100 in it complete) and be done with it...i agree with Greg, the Classic is a good starter pod for YOUNGER people starting out...but for the price of his better pod, grab it.

Greg if Mitch doesnt buy your pod, give me a shout...i have a buddy that wants it.

Scott

12. ShoreBoundOne

13. catking

catking Banned

Welcome to the dark side :cool: Carp, next cattin :cool: THE CATKING !!!

14. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

'Kings right...Carp & Cats go hand and hand..because you only have to change the rig and bait......but you can use all the same equipment for both!
    And its fun because both species fight very well..compared to "other" species...lol

Also catching big channel cats on 12' 2.50-2.75 lb. TC carbon rods will get that blood flowing thats for sure & if you think a big carp can scream off those alarms....them cats blast off faster!

Scott

15. ShoreBoundOne

Heck i was already Hooked on Cats...cant wait to get the pod and hit Willard for some fat channels.

Mitch

16. Okay, I'm stoopid, what the hell is a "pod?"

17. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Spike, your not stoopid...just not up on the "Euro" style of carp fishing thats talked about in the Carp forums.

A Rod Pod is a type of rod stand/holder that is widely used all over the world...and is taking off here in the States.
    A Rod Pod consists of many things...for many reasons.

Buzz bar: designed to hold electronic alarms that let the angler know they have a run/bite/take.
    Alarm/buzzer: is an electronic devise that has a roller wheel(majority of them atleast) that your line runs accrossed and if the line moves the wheel it will BEEP and a LED will turn on.
    Indicator:a devise that is cliped on the line that puts tension on the line so the angler can tell if they get a run or a drop-back(when the fish comes at you). Some of these indicators hook up to the alarm and also light up just like the alarm. Indicators and alarms work together to a give cpmplete watch over your baits and anything that touches them.

On most of these set ups we can lay our rods on the Pod and hook up the alarms and indicators..and we dont have to sit and watch over our rods...the alarms will let us know if anything goes on..so you can walk over and talk to other anglers..or catch a nap.
    I use higher end alarms that have a wide range of volume(up to 100db), wide range of tones(different alarm sounds) and wide range of sesitivity control.

below is a basic starter Rod Pod set-up.

18. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Pods come in a few styles from the basic pod you seen above to Xpod styles like this one.....

19. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned