Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sneakers2548
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new 2102 WA and in process of setting it up for trolling up on erie. Any one got suggestions on rod holdes? Thinking of putting a track system on each side, but was wondering if the rod holders are totally removeable on those? Was looking a the trac and turn set up but can't find any reviews on it! Anyone got suggestions I am listening!

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,194 Posts
Go with the Cisco system. I have my Contender set up for 5 on each side. they mount on a gimble system that slides into the rod holders already on the boat. I one set of 3 and on set of 2. Talk to Steve Carlson at South Shore and he will take care of you.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
For the money, I don't think you can beat the tite-loks. I've ran them for 3 years now, and love them.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
there are some used tite loks on here as well as few other brands http://www.glangler.com/swapmeet.html

I would listen to advice here as well as go to a couple of places that sell different brands and play with them to see which you like best. Fisherman's wharf in Port Clinton has a good selection and Happy Days Marine on rt 53 in port clinton has some as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just started this year and did test a few out that I ended up taking back (If you want to know the brands pm me i don't want to put down anybody's holders). I wanted to really be able to adust to different rod configurations like boards and dipsey's so I ended up with the Ciscos. I felt they were the easiest and allowed for a wide range of adjustments. I didn't like what it did to my wallet but when you compare the ones that of the same quality they were not that far apart for price. I went with a track for looks but a gimble would work as well. The track I installed myself and it was easy and with the step inserts it really hides well.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I slum it. I use Ram Rod holders that I bought from Shortdrift used for a great price. They are adjustable enough for me and I can think of 5,000 other things I'd like to spend money on for the boat rather than replace those Rams.

They aren't sexy, but they take a beating and work well.

·
Amphibious Mobile
136 Posts
Go To LakelandProducts.Com,Guy I Know Told Me To Check Them Out,I Got 2 Four Foot Tracks And 8 Fully Adjustable Rod Holders For $110.00-Tried To Order From Them And The Said The Were Out Till 2010,Guy On the Phone Was Very Nice Told Me To Call Happy Days-He Had A Few Sets Left And He Shipped Right To Me-All Aluminum,Not As Heavy Duty As Tites Or Bj's But I LIKE THEM BIGTIME!Got One Track Runnin Down Each Side And The Holders Come Off Easy For Storage,And Lakeland Is An Ohio Company!

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
I like my tite-loks, but i don't like the angle adjustments on them. When your adjusting several of them at once they take too long to un-screw, then re-screw. You can buy an upgrade for their pins but their not cheap. When I get the money, I'll be going with the aurora lites.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,041 Posts
I run tite-lok triple tree(can be made to hold 4) I like the tree better than the track. 4 bolts and their off the boat and in the garage. I've got 2 of my 6 fitted with the upgrade pull pins and I'm going to get the other 4 soon. Can't beat tite-lok for the money.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I would recommend Traxstech. Tough to beat, and they can custom design any configuration that you would want.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The first thing I ask a customer is "how do they fish"? Run big boards with a dipsy off the side? Inlines mostly with a dipsy or two of each side? 3 dipsy's off a side and and one inline? etc. Then the question needs asked on what fish do you target. Will you pull your boat to Lake Ontario or Michigan for Salmon or just stay on Erie for Walleye? If you are looking to stay on Erie for Walleye then I usually do not recommend heavy rod holders that cost a ton of money. The last thing to look at is room on your boat. I have a 21 Trophy WA and have limited space, so I don't want to run 6 rod holders down my gunwales which leaves no room to get in or out or a cup holder in my tracks, so the tree's are perfect for running big boards. With all the products out there which include single or dual planer masts that can have rod holders installed on them (tree style), horizontal quad rolders, vertical bird trees, dual rod holders for pulling dipsys, triple rod holders, etc. you can find yourself purchasing things that do not really fit your "style" of fishing which turns out to be a waste of money.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've had both Traxtech and Cisco, I liked the trac system on the Trax's, you could take the tree or holders out and replace the pad and there was a nice step pad to get in and out of the boat. You could also move the holders around more, I had some fixed and some swivel ones so depending on what I was fihsing for I could move the holders around.

The Cisco's I have are triples on each side of the boat, they are more adjustable than the Trax's but you always have 3 holders on each side even if you can only fish 2 rods per side. Also if you take the trees down there is a small mounting bracket that is difficult to cover.

Just my $.02

·
Fish against the fish...
1,110 Posts
I run tite-lok triple tree(can be made to hold 4) I like the tree better than the track. 4 bolts and their off the boat and in the garage. I've got 2 of my 6 fitted with the upgrade pull pins and I'm going to get the other 4 soon. Can't beat tite-lok for the money.
Same here - love them and bought a second set of mounting plate ad depending on what program - we either have the on the gunnel or on the transom - or one of each. Have four different combination spots. Like being able to take them off as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts