close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some help

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishintiger, Jun 11, 2004.

1. I bought a boat last night. WooHoo. :D I need some help though. This boat I bought needs a lot of TLC. It needs to be repainted and the trailor needs to have the boards replaced. I also want to put a casting deck and a pedistal seat in the front. Where can I get the plywood and other wood to use? Also what do I need to register the boat? I know to register the trailor I just need to get it weighed. The boat was last registered in 1995. Should I wait to have it registered after I repaint it? I would be taking the numbers and stuff off of the side when I sand it down to repaint it. I am planning on adding some teflon (i think that's what it is) on top of the boards so the boat slides on and off the trailor easier. Should I paint the boat a dark color or maybe two toned and have a dark color on the bottom. My g/f wants to paint it metallic blue. Would that be too bright and scare the fish off or can the fish even see the boat color? Thanks guys for your help.

fishintiger

2. Congrats on the boat!

You can get marine plywood at just about any Lowe's, Home Depot, etc...
    To register the boat - you need a title in your name and the old registration # from '95.
    You can paint a boat any color and catch fish although I wouldn't suggest hunter's orange :D The metallic blue sounds nice.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

tony,if you need some help/guidance,i'll be more than glad to come over and check it out and help with anything i can.don't bother with marine plywood unless you want to spend a lot of money.treated will work fine and last for years,if sealed properly.it's lots cheaper.marine grade has it's good points,but it's costly,and some new boats have treated wood that's gauranteed for years.
    if it's under 14 feet,just take the registration to a registrar and get a new one.just buy replacement numbers and apply after you paint.
    i'm not far from you,and you know i have plenty of time on my hands ;) so feel free to ask for any help.

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I built a custom casting deck for my first boat, using treated plywood (3/4in), sealed it, and covered with marine carpet. Even flush mounted a seat mount to it. Looked like it came from the factory after everything was said and done, and I had maybe $40 into it. $15 of which, was the seat mount and screws.

5. The boat is 14 foot long. The one problem I might have is the guy doesn't have a registration for it. All he has is a bill of sale. I'm thinking that if regular plywood will work then that is what I am going to use. I guess I should give a little more info on the boat. It is a 14 foot, deep-v. I believe it is an alum. boat. I think the wood on the transom is starting to go bad. Can I use regular plywood to put back there? I am so excited. Did I mention I am getting it for $100 including the trailor? How hard is it to build a deck? I don't want anything super nice and snazzy. I just want something that will hold a seat, a person and give them some room to be comfortable. Thanks again guys.

fishintiger

6. Not regular plywood. Treated, exterior plywood. And, as mentioned, it should be sealed. I found marine plywood at Lowes two years ago for less than exterior, so it pays to look around. With lumber prices these days, look a lot. Don't skimp on the transom. You can use the same wood, but make sure it has sufficient strength, and is sealed very well. That's not something you want to fail on the water. :eek: