close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some help with Mosquito

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Dock Time, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

Hello,

I've caught some cats in my day, but usually channels and not big flats. I want to night fish Mosquito from the bank. Where should I go (the causeway maybe) to get some flat action. I usually run a 1 ounce egg sinker, 2-3 foot leader and cut shad or crawlers when channel fishing. Will the same set up get me some flathead action off the bank? I hear a lot of guys use bluegills or small goldfish.

Thanks,

Dock Time

2. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

that set up will do for smaller fish...but when fishing big live baits, which is what you want for flats, you will need to upgrade to a larger sinker-possibly a 4oz to keep bait on the bottom and a larger hook (I always use 8/0 circle hooks or 8/0-10/0 kahles) but then you want to focus around submerged timber, rocky/gravel bottomed shallow flats, drop offs, and holes....but live bait is preferrable for big flatheads...bluegill, especially green sunfish, around 4"-6", chubs, suckers, goldfish, small carp, live shad, etc...

3. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I'll give that a try. With the live bait, lip hook, dorsal or tail?

4. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

kinda depends on water current...like in rivers with moderate to fast currents we hook baits through the lips...but in lakes and slow current creeks/rivers, such as mosquito lake, we always hook them where the dorsal fin ends back near the tail...never had any problems either way just as long as we hooked the bait appropriately to the situation inwhich we were fishing