close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some help with Crappie and S-eyes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba bass bigfoot, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Dont know why but im ready for the cold and am wanting to do some crappie and S-eye fishing this winter. You guys got any tips on how to fish for them. Im thinking Small jigs with twister tails. Also can you give some places to go with a small john boat or good fishing from bank. And do i have to fish deep or can i hit up some coves at alum for em in shallower areas. We are looking to get a trolling motor but as of right now no motor, kinda want to stay off the main lake ALLOT of oaring lol.
    You know me its bass all the time but looking to do some other fishing.
    Thanks for all the help.

2. Hey bubba, I was also a bass only guy for a long time till recently being turned onto crappie. Man what a lot of fun when the bite is hot. I have dang near give up bass fishin to fish for crappie. I can't help ya with the winter time crappies though. I'm gearing up for bow season now but I allready can't wait for that spring crappie bite!!!

3. How late into the season are we talking, Bubba ?? Huge difference between say, late October & early December. I will help you out as much as I can on Alum, but narrow down the time frame a little.
    Tim

4. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

not sure, i am thinking more Dec. Oct will still be bass even late.

5. Hey Bubba, I'll pm you when the time gets a little closer ........... if I forget, drop me a line. Hopefully I'll get my big buck with the bow fairly early & it will allow me to fish up through December. Nothing better than a mess of fresh crappie or saugeye out of that cold water !!
    I've got some good access info for Alum also for a small boat.
    Later,
    Tim

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

bubba,i don't think you'll want to be doing much fishing from a boat in decemember unless we have a mild winter;)
    you can find fish from shore in many places at that time.saugeyes will be found in shallow water in the evenings.indian,hoover,alum,buckeye all have easy shore access for saugeye fishing then.boat ramps,rip rap and channels are all good spots.jigs and baits such as husky jerks,rogues etc. are favorites.
    crappies can be found deep and fishing off the rip rap around bridges or off sharp drops off points at hoover and alum will probably work.

7. EE

EE

right you are Rick, 'mild winter' being the key words there....... me and a few others were fishing from my boat up through early January this year, then we got hit pretty hard and off to storage it went.... back to the shorelines for a month or two.

Bubba, good news is, if you are interested/motivated, saugeye can be caught all winter long......but you better invest in a few pair of long johns! :D

8. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

I don't know about Bubba, but I'm very interested in learning how to catch saugeye all winter long! If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the above methods work all through the cold water season.tipping jigs with minnies can help.slow steady or stop go retrieves with all baits s the norm.another good method is just fishing a minnie tightlined on a 3 way rig.if you can get on the water with a boat,find deep water(20-30+ feet)around poinyts,drops,roadbeds and vertical jig with blades or spoons.

10. EE

EE

jimmenchhofer, much of what you do in the fall for saugeye will continue to work mid-winter.....it's not as much a huge change in technique as much as it is a willingness to go fish when most people are home staying warm. slow the presentation down a bit, try different things (misfit lists a bunch) like jig/minnow combinations, throw jerkbaits, or even try a minnow on a plain hook with a few small splitshot a foot or two above, slowwww drag across flats and gravel beds.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that is a key factor;)
    most bigger fish(saugeyes) are caught at those times also and it's worth bundling up and venturing out for the chance at a fish of a lifetime.if i were still able,i'd be spending my fall and winter evenings doing just that.
    i also believe that november may be the best month for those hogs.