close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some DOG HELP!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XL506, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Well I'm wanting to get a puppy, and I'm stuck. I can't decide which breed to get. I want a dog to take Dove and Pheasant ( and other upland bird ) hunting and bring the dove, and birds to me. But, I guess Im picky, because I want a dog I can take on a relaxing fishing trip with me, and a dog that will even go squirrel hunting with me, and chill under a tree with me. Just a companion that I can put time into and train him to retrieve dove and etc, and have a good pal in. I have a husky, that Ive had for a while... But after getting with the wife a few years back shes become HER dog. The breeds I've looked into have been the Brittany Spaniel, Lab , German Shorthaired Pointer .. Anyone have any other suggestions? or better have actually have a pup??? A need a new life companion... ( Besides the naggin' one )

2. I vote for the Brittany. I got one that is 3/4 Brittany and 1/4 lab and she is such a great pup. I can't wait till were spending time in the field together. Here she is as a puppy, she is now about 5 months old and much bigger!!
    [​IMG]

3. Yeash XL, sounds like you need a son. :D
    I have a German shorthaired pointer that does most of what you're looking for. A Lab might fit the bill. English setter would be a fine choice as well.
    Good luck.

4. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

How do you prefer to hunt? Over a versitile? A flusher? A pointer? What kind of couch do you have? (that's a jab at Row v. Wade and his GSP :))

5. LOL, Well I do have a son ( hes only 14 months though ) :D

I dont need a pointer, When Im dove hunting, I just sit in my designated areas and take em as they come ( in a relaxed environment ), when Im hunting pheasant ( My buddy owns a pheasant hunting preserve ) I just want a dog to walk around with me, and to retreive the birds I shoot. Same with Dove, I want him to sit with me and chill and when I down some birds I just want him to go get them. I was also looking at English Setters and English Spaniels

6. Magoo's right. My GSP disemboweled my couch. I damned near sent him on a 1 way trip to Korea to be the guest of honor at a Korean dinner.
    Magoo has a English Setter that does it all. Great dog!

7. PS: My couch is a new Kroehler ( but, like my wife.. it can be replaced lol )

What about Brittany Spaniels? Would they fit the bill?

8. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

You just described a VIZSLA to a T!!

9. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

10. You will love the brittany Spaniel for sure. I got my Brit, "Cody" from "Bigun" on here in the gundog forum.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There's a point for you.

11. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Get a dog that finds birds, lets you know exactly where they are, holds them for you while you mosey on up (no need to run), and brings them back to hand without squeezing their guts out. Oh, and it's got to be gentle with people and pretty. Getta setta.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Occasionally, mine hunts fur, too
    [​IMG]
    We're working on getting her to know the difference between squirrel and opossum. At least it wasn't a :S

13. Everyone has their opinion, and they are all good ones... but I will throw mine out there!

I wanted the samething you did, I ended up with a Weimaraner.

She was a little rambuncious at first, but she has really calmed down. I have her on doves, pheshant, and she is also retrieving an occasional goose for me. I found that the more I work with here the more she is happy to please.

They are a beautiful dog too!

[​IMG]