close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need some computer software input?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Iam looking for some good photo editing software. Something to resize pics, do projects for kids at school, cards greetings you name it but i don't want to spend a fortune. What do some of you guys use i know some of you have some great software for cliping and inserting as well.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i use irfanview..its free..

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

picasa is also free, and the duckhunters refuge also has one as a sticky.

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Photoshop rules, but it's expensive...I'd recommend Paint Shop Pro by Jasc. Often called the poor mans photoshop, it has a LOT of photoshop features for about 70$.

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

another vote for picasa...it's GREAT, and it manages photos too.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

shake i had a free trial for 60days of the paint shop pro 8 with the new dell its expired. I liked it but would like it to have more options and abilities. So whould i get that with photo shop and if so whats the cost of photo shop. I guess i don't mind spending since we do all family pic on digital and the kids do alot of school projects as well.

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

photoshop=big bucks, even with a discount
    Check out Macromedia's Fireworks. Education discount makes it $99 I think, or you can get their full suite for a little more.

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ya i see that now roger i have photoshop 2 download starter kit and i looked at upgrade cost and that stuff is big bucks $650 for the photoshop cs. I will keep looking.

9. I use Macromedia. It works fine for me.

10. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

i don't have it, but Gimp is supposed to be a good alternative..... according to Tech Tv Screensavers show

11. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I use fireworks all the time great software, check it out and it doesnt cost that much even though I didn't pay for it. I work for a software company/web application company.

12. I guess I am a little confused on what you are wanting to do with the software. If you are looking for resizing, editing images, etc. I use the Sony software that came with my digital camera. That seems to be very versatile in cleaning up pictures. However, it does not do well for more creative things like cloning, morphing, etc. As far as card creation, flyers, presentations, etc. there seems to be a lot of those out there that do a pretty decent job at a low cost. I think I bought my wife a Hallmark or something a while back and she was able to do a lot of projects on there. She uses Microsoft publisher for some projects and it does a decent job despite being an old version. I think where you get into the money is when you start looking for the photo enhancement tools. By that I mean the morphing, cloning, filtering, etc. Some of those are very impressive but should be for what you pay for them.

13. If the main thing you want to do is Resize Digital photos then XP Home or XP Professional has FREE Powertoys you can download from Microsoft site. Then you right click on any photo on your pc, click resize...and it has quite a few options..all built-in to the OS.